FORUMS: list search recent posts

Q: how to fix a Canon 814 viewfinder?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lars Fuchs
Q: how to fix a Canon 814 viewfinder?
on Sep 30, 2008 at 3:21:57 pm

I just scored a Canon 814 Electronic at a ridiculously low price. Everything seems to work well (still waiting for the test roll to come back from the lab to be sure). The viewfinder has some clouding though. Because of the parallax, I think the cloudiness is in the viewfinder. (in other words, moving eye side-to-side makes it seem like the blurry patch is right near my eye.)

There are 4 small screws holding the viewfinder eyecup in place. What's at risk if I unscrew them to find out if I can clean up the blurriness? In other words, am I likely to break any light seals or anything like that that I won't be able to put it back to the way it was?

thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Q: how to fix a Canon 814 viewfinder?
on Oct 6, 2008 at 2:52:17 am

I'd go for it but all of my friends think that I'm nuts. I hope you're the technical savvy type. It sounds like it.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Lars Fuchs
Re: Q: how to fix a Canon 814 viewfinder?
on Oct 6, 2008 at 3:11:41 pm

Okay, so it turns out that the screws around the viewfinder only hold the viewfinder cover plate (which in turn holds the eyecup) in place. I took it off only to find that I couldn't get to any of the optical path to the viewfinder. It looks now like I'll have to do a complete disassemble to fix it.

First I'm going to see what the footage looks like. If its making nice pictures, then the problem is only the viewer part of the path. Then I might just decide to live with it. I'm also going to contact du-all to see what they charge for an estimate and/or repair.

Stay tuned!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]