FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera mounts, harnesses etc..

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vanessa Poirier-Ogg
Camera mounts, harnesses etc..
on Sep 12, 2008 at 6:39:26 pm

I hoping someone could help.
I am just starting up some research to find some harnesses or mounts that will give my camera ops some freedom and ability to get some really fluid and "cool" angels/shots. Tripods, jibs, dolly tracks are sometimes limiting. Steady cams are great but when you are working with HDCams (F900/Sony 1500) the weight along can prove to be very tiring for the op. Is there anything out there that can help further my research so I can find something that will get the awesome angles/shots, is light weight and isn't limiting? Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: Camera mounts, harnesses etc..
on Sep 12, 2008 at 7:23:31 pm

What you are looking for is a great hook in the sky. Haven't found one yet. Probably the most operator-friendly system is the EasyRig, which can work for any weight camera depending on which cord you use. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sb=ps&sq=desc&Q=&O=&pn=1&ci... It looks a bit dorky to some, but users seem to swear by it, as it puts the weight on the operator's hips rather than on his/her shoulder. I have used one only briefly. It takes some adjusting to sling it correctly, but after that it works well.

My favorite for relatively quick changes and angles is a long jib arm mounted on a large dolly (Fisher 10) with a cross arm from which is underslung a 3-axis Weaver Steadman head. Obviously for that you need a really good dolly grip plus extra muscle, a smooth floor, etc. Not great on small stages or on location. Fabulous in the right circumstances.

Rick Wise
director of photography
Oakland, CA
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Camera mounts, harnesses etc..
on Sep 13, 2008 at 7:02:56 am

I'll second that Easy Rig. When I first saw one at NAB 2000, I thought it was some goofy Steadi-Cam wanna be. So, I tried one on to see how foolish it felt. BandPro had mine delivered the following Monday.

Oh, and we own a SteadiCam but that thing is too much for my frail little body.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]