FORUMS: list search recent posts

is 5600 kelvin enough for a Z1?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antonio Atzei
is 5600 kelvin enough for a Z1?
on Sep 3, 2008 at 9:49:25 pm

Hi COWS!
I just had a meeting with the official photographer of the event I'll be shooting (fashion show party/catwalk) and he mentioned the light as an issue on the all evening. We may not have the minumum ideal 5600 kelvin ideal to show true or acceptable colors, so I was told. Where do I stand with the Z1 with at least 50 fps?
ciao
Txs in advance
AA

BABALOTTI PRODUCTIONS
SYDNEY
POWER MAC G5 QUAD SYSTEM
4.5GB RAM
1 TB OF MEMORY.
FCS 2
AJA KONA LHe

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: is 5600 kelvin enough for a Z1?
on Sep 3, 2008 at 10:28:52 pm

Hi Antonio...

That's just a little confusing, you might check with the photographer or whomever is actually in charge of the lighting design.

Degrees in Kelvin would be a measure of the color temperature of the light, not the amount of intensity or brightness (which would be expressed in some other form, such as lumens or footcandles).

Intensity/brightness and color temp are independent, one doesn't really have that much to do with the other.

5600K would indicate use of "daylight" instruments (HMI, fluorescents, or perhaps LEDs). I would think it would be highly unusual to find a fashion show (or any theatrical production) lit with daylight-balanced lighting. Tungsten-balanced lighting (more in the 3200Kish neighborhood) would probably be much more the norm. In addition, for something like a fashion show I can envision a wide range of color gels that might be on the instruments.

But as I said, the Kelvin specification only tells you the color of the light... which your Z1 can compensate for and yield properly color-balanced images regardless of the color temp. What you really need to know is if you have sufficient lighting output from the instruments, not color temp.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Antonio Atzei
Re: is 5600 kelvin enough for a Z1?
on Sep 3, 2008 at 11:55:40 pm

Todd

Thank you for your very clear explanation. Well... no mather the photographer says I'll have to find out by myself when I switch on the camera.

Rds.
AA

BABALOTTI PRODUCTIONS
SYDNEY
POWER MAC G5 QUAD SYSTEM
4.5GB RAM
1 TB OF MEMORY.
FCS 2
AJA KONA LHe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved