FORUMS: list search recent posts

Controlling Contrast

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Nelson
Controlling Contrast
on Aug 11, 2008 at 5:02:39 pm

I'm often stuck shooting on smaller-chip cameras which, in my experience, have issues dealing with heavy contrast. If I'm shooting on a bright day with minimal control of light, is there a way for me to paint the image in-camera so the final product isn't so blown out in some spots and underexposed in others? Just curious if anyone has any proven methods or suggestions.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Controlling Contrast
on Aug 11, 2008 at 5:16:26 pm

Just depends on the camera... some are very tweakable, some hardly at all. The big question is, exactly what camera are we talking about?

For example I normally shoot with a Canon XLH1, and it has (if memory serves) 23 different adjustible parameters, so it is quite "paintable." Other cameras I have, less so... and one or two, not at all. Just depends, your mileage may vary.

If not, you can cut contrast (to a degree) with filtration.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Tom Nelson
on Aug 11, 2008 at 5:19:37 pm

I'm usually running on a DSR-390.

-Tom

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 11, 2008 at 5:50:04 pm

Well the DSR-390 is not what most people would consider a "smaller camera"... it's not a 2/3" camera but it is 1/2" in a full-size body. Not having used one, I don't know what the tweakability of it is, but I would imagine there are a lot of adjustible parameters that would allow you to paint reasonably well... at least that's the case with most cameras in that particular range.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]