FORUMS: list search recent posts

Diffusion material

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
Diffusion material
on Aug 7, 2008 at 10:21:59 pm

Hey kids...

I'm going to throw this out into Lighting Design, too....

I'm having trouble hitting on exactly the right diffusion material, I thought I'd see if anyone else has a recommendation...

I'm in need of some diffusion for both sunlight and perhaps on occasion also HMI. I'm looking for something to go in a 6x6 butterfly but haven't landed on the exact rag that makes me happy. I have a Matthews 6x6 quarter-stop which of course cuts a bit of light but still gives hard shadows. Also have a Matthew half-stop which is just too much. I'm looking for something diffuse but with very good light transmission.

When I don't need something that big I'll usually use 250 or 251 in a 4x4 Hollywood frame, and usually one of those is perfect... but I can't find a textile equivalent that looks good in a bigger overhead frame.

There's actually some plasticy material we have laying around (it's actually vinyl shower curtain material, bought by the yard) that's just about right... but I would have to piece it together and I'm not sure how it would stand up to the heat of lights. I'd rather just buy the right rag if I could find one that makes me happy.

Anyone have any thoughts?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Diffusion material
on Aug 8, 2008 at 5:20:36 am

We carry a roll of thick plastic sheeting (10x25) that we bought at Home Depot. We bought it to keep paint from splashing onto our production van but one time we needed just a little something to shave the edge off the sun and protect the talent from some rain sprinkles. It worked surprisingly well for an accidental fix. Don't remember the price but it was under $20.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 8, 2008 at 10:53:19 am

Hey Steve...

Yeah, that probably works, sounds about like the shower-curtain material that I found (which was only like fifty-cents a foot, by the way)....

I'm sure there's a real rag that will do the equivalent, but I just haven't landed on it yet.

I'm not above making one (putting on the webbing and elastic loops, pounding grommets, etc.), but I'd rather just buy it.

Anyone?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rick McKinney
on Aug 8, 2008 at 6:53:25 pm

I've always used a China White silk from Modern Studio Equipment with great success. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Charles Taylor
on Aug 26, 2008 at 7:14:52 pm

Sounds like you want Hilite. A heavy plastic shower curtain type stuff, probably there are different grades, but the stuff I had was much like 250.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]