FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX-1 vs. Prosumer

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Ingrassia
Sony EX-1 vs. Prosumer
on Aug 4, 2008 at 6:25:28 pm

Later this week we have a shoot with a chef who will be cooking on a kitchen set. We need a B-camera for the "over the counter looking straight down as she slices and dices" shot. Our main camera is a JVC GY-HD250, shooting at 720p60. We're looking at a couple of options for the b-camera:

-rent a Sony EX-1
-borrow a Panasonic HVX-200
-purchased a mid-range prosumer handheld HD camcorder. We figure that while it's not the greatest quality, it might work given it's limited use and movement. We're looking at the Canon Vixia HV-100.

Ideally we want a decent cost to quality ratio.

Also, the video is going to live on her website. There won't be any DVD mastering.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Sony EX-1 vs. Prosumer
on Aug 5, 2008 at 12:55:41 am

We own 2 EX-1s but here's my advice based solely on your desire to save money.

1. Borrow the HVX. (Do a test ahead of time)

2. Rent the EX-1 (Do another test. Shoot in the HDV mode)

3. Buy the consumer camera. (Does it do 60P ?)

Here is my experience from last year: I took a JVC 250 to Oshkosh Wisconsin to shoot library footage of the planes and activities.

I shot in 60P although something in my gut said "Don't do it!) I should have listened, I had a nightmare of a time with the 60P footage. First of all, I could not find a deck to play it. I had a friend who upgraded the firmware on his deck just to help us out. The shots were nice and crisp but it took some work to get them into the computer. We did not have access to the camera any more. This was before they (the 250) were released to the public.

Your situation may vary.

Do not listen to others!
Do not listen to others!
Do not listen to others!

Make it all work yourself waaaay in advance.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]