FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on shooting angles

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emmet Reddy
Advice on shooting angles
on Aug 3, 2008 at 2:44:45 am

Hi all I have to edit a job and i have been asked for some advice on the best way to shoot the fx shots.
The story is basically about a giant woman so the director was thinking of doing it green screen for the giant woman, and shooting the rest standard, i suppose im looking for some advice on the best way to shoot the project.
ie best possible camera angels to use to achieve the most convincing giant woman perspective, allthough the dop should be sorting that stuff out, anyway i know its a tall order no pun intended, but any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.
thanks Emmet

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Advice on shooting angles
on Aug 3, 2008 at 5:12:21 am

Ummmm.... yeah, the director and DP should have worked that out.

I don't have any advice on the greenscreen front, but want to make sure they area aware that when shooting miniatures (which is basically what this is, shooting something to make it appear larger than it really is) requires requires adjusting the frame rate for a moving object to appear natural. Basically, the more larger-than-real-life the subject, the more the camera must be overcranked. I believe there are percentage formulas in the ASC handbook.

Just thought... know what would be a fun way to do this? Do it practical with forced perspective!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Aug 3, 2008 at 6:49:33 am

Go rent 1958 movie "Attack of The 50 Foot Woman". They didn't have green screens, just talent.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

M. Oliver Watson
on Aug 20, 2008 at 6:27:19 pm

Didn't they use forced perspective in Lord of the Rings?

M. Oliver Watson

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 20, 2008 at 9:39:24 pm

Even if you HATE the movies, buy the 3 Special Edition DVD sets. Then toss the movies in the garbage. I think the longer versions are better than the shorter ones -- they actually make more sense, and as a result are more entertaining. (The end of the last movie is still goofy, but the rest of it is much better.)

But hey, nobody says you have to like the movies. Toss 'em if you want.

The thing is, those extra 2 disks per movie are the best "film school in a box" you can buy. There's a very extensive, and downright fun, exploration of forced perspective, including how to build scenery to accomodate it, lighting, camera, even acting...among scads of great bits on modeling, animation, motion capture, literary sources and managing 1,000 horses.

Seriously, I've never seen anything as cool as those features. And if you can stand the movies at all, listen to all the commentaries that don't have actors on them. You'll learn a TON about movie making, and have a lot of fun.

As long as you don't try to watch them all at once.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah. Yes, they used forced perspective in the Lord of the Rings movies.

Tim Wilson
Associate Director, CreativeCow.net
Associate Publisher, Creative Cow Magazine!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]