FORUMS: list search recent posts

Still Camera vs. Video Lens Filters

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Schadel
Still Camera vs. Video Lens Filters
on Jul 27, 2008 at 9:30:26 am

Hello,
I need some fellow expertise in the area of lenses and filters. Primarily filters. I recently purchased the JVC HD GY110 and looking to purchase a polarizer and UV filter to start off with, and I am interested in learning about any the difference(s) between filters for still cameras vs. video. Will a still photo filter compromise the quality of my image? As a fellow starving artist, should I dig as deep into my pocKets (which isn't very deep) and purchase high quality filters, or am I fine with something less expensive? I only have the "freebie" lense that came with the JVC, so my uneducated guess is that I would be alright with a "freebie" quality filter set. Any suggestions in here? Your knowledge and advice would be very much appreciated and shared down the line with my circles...Thanks in advance!

Kschades

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Still Camera vs. Video Lens Filters
on Jul 29, 2008 at 11:42:02 pm

It really depends the exact environment of where, what, and when you're shooting. If you're looking to add something to your basic kit, spend good money on a good polarizer. Which will serve you well for EXT. DAY.

Other than a polarizer, other filters are not necessary to capture a nicely exposed image. They can add aesthetics and tone, but if you're starving, I suggest a sandwich--not a filter. :-)

Return to posts index

Kevin Schadel
on Jul 30, 2008 at 12:45:25 am

Thanks for the input, as well as aknowledging my "starving artist" status in your reply. I will stick with the sandwich. I'm under the impression that most Lens Filter enhancements/effects, can be achieved through post. What are your (and anybody else's) thoughts on that?

Thanks again!!
Kevin Schadel

Kschades

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 30, 2008 at 5:01:07 pm

I found polarizing filters especially useful for shooting water. (NOAA and Everglades National Park were big clients.) Instead of blown-out reflections, I could see *into* the water. That opened up options for post that simply weren't there before.

For example, I could use curves to bring out fish without distorting the color of the water. But getting control of the highlights was critical. Once they're blown all the way out, there's nothing to work with -- just a sea of all-white pixels.

Same thing for skies, btw -- a lot more data, more richly captured, gives you a lot more latitude in post. Skies and water are just two examples of how this one filter can help you in a wide variety of conditions.

Anyway, maybe a polarizing filter IS the way to go for a starving artist. You can give a man a fish, or you can teach him how to use a polarizing filter to make fish sandwiches.

Tim Wilson
Associate Director, CreativeCow.net
Associate Publisher, Creative Cow Magazine!

Return to posts index

Kevin Schadel
on Jul 30, 2008 at 6:53:55 pm

Keep the starving Artist motif going! We'll be able to have an entire thread on how to feed ourselves through the use of what production equipment we have.

Do you or anyone have any recommendations for a manufacturer of Filters? I personally like Tiffen. I have an 82mm thread. Model #'s wouldn't hurt me either. You think I'll be okay with a filter for around $100? That's as high as my budget stretches right now- or with that budget, am I better off saving my money, buying a $30-$40 filter, and then when the time comes, spend the $300+ for the right one?

Yes! You are absolutely right about seeing right through the water. I did boat camera operation work for a couple-three years for a redfish and kingfish show, and the polarizing filters were priceless. I was rather new at shooting (as well as shooting anglers) and it wasnt until someone explained how to use the polarizer that I finally got it, and what a difference! If anyone needs a tip for using your polarizer while shooting water- primarily on a sunny day, here goes: check your exposure, frame up the water, have your zebra indicators "on", and turn your polarizing filter 360 degrees. You should notice the contrast from point A (0 degrees) to point B (360 degrees) in regards to the amount of zebra "stripes" you see in your viewfinder. Set your polarizer to the least amount of zebra "stripes". You're all set. If there is still too many zebra indicators at your lowest polarizer setting, you're iris is too open- set it accordingly. I like it where the zebras are seen shimmering very slightly off the tops of ripples, waves, etc. Anyways- It was awesome being able to see the fish on the hook make its way to the boat. It also opened up a world of confidence in shooting for that show- can you imagine? From not knowing what a polarizing filter does, to knowing what it really is, and how to use it...as a camera operator, on a national broadcast, for a fishing show? Luckily I was informed about it by the 2nd or 3rd show I believe.

If anybody has an addition or even a correction to my tip, it would be helpful to post it up. I never assume I know everything about anything- and although a newbie to CC, I am under the impression that that's what Creative Cow forums are all about, acquiring knowledge through the advice, opinions and personal experience of its members....so-if there's anymore room for education or tips with lens filters, I encourage you all to post, so we can all get better at our game, and so I can personally put more and more food on my table. So is it lense or lens? I like lens. And I also like theatre rather than theater.

Tim, thanks so much for your input. And please, any more creative ways to put food on the table, I'm all ears...actually eyes...unless you call me, then I'm all ears. Look forward to your reply(ies).

Kevin Schadel

Kschades

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jul 30, 2008 at 9:09:54 pm

Check this out: http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogSubCategoryDisplay.aspx?CID...

(It'll cost more than sandwich.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]