FORUMS: list search recent posts

shooting near salt & sand: camera protection?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Curtis
shooting near salt & sand: camera protection?
on Jul 25, 2008 at 3:41:48 am

Following up on the thread from the guy with the smudged lens. I'm looking for the best ideas for avoiding the same fate.

I'm producing a series of daily short videos at the the church youth summer beach retreat next week. (Paying someone was the last resort, but at least I was available.)

I've already made sure they have a UV filter on the camera, and am brainstorming on the best ways to shoot activities on the beach without hurting the camera and lens.

My initial thought is to gaff tape a clear plastic garbage bag to the lens hood, exposing only the lens. That way, the clear-ish plastic bag allows button access while protecting the rest of the camera from sand and salt.

In that scenario, I realize that humidity and temperature changes are the enemy. I'll make sure the camera is acclimated to the outside before securing it in the bag.

Canned air and lens cleaner/cloths will be on the shopping list for cleanup after the fact.

What are some other solutions?

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
Re: shooting near salt & sand: camera protection?
on Jul 25, 2008 at 7:59:59 pm

What grade of a camera are you using? Are you talking about a Canon XL, Canon GL, or Optura (roughly speaking)?

I've shot with a couple consumer cams and a Sony A1 at the beach without any issues. Don't worry too much about it. Humidity will be your greatest enemy, most likely. I was working a summer camp last year with a small fleet of consumer cams rendered useless by the high humidity. Have a cleaning tape on hand. Sony makes sports cases for some of their cases -- it's waterproof and durable. Might be worth looking into -- it's served us very well, and it'll keep the sand and seawater out for you.

Return to posts index

Jay Curtis
on Jul 25, 2008 at 9:55:08 pm

Thanks for your help Ryan. I'm shooting with a Canon GL-2.

The only time I've tried shooting at the beach was with my consumer miniDV camera (a couple of years ago) -- it fogged up immediately and didn't have any intention of doing anything else. I had the sense to turn it off and take it back inside to let it dry off before I tried to use it again.

So what's the best way to protect a camera from the humidity? Is it merely a matter of letting the camera adjust to outside conditions before powering up?

Thanks for the case suggestion, but my connection with the retreat came together in less than a week, and we leave on Sunday night.
I'll check on the possibility of a cleaning tape, too.

Jay Curtis

Blue Vase Productions

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 27, 2008 at 3:21:47 pm

[Jay Curtis] "So what's the best way to protect a camera from the humidity? Is it merely a matter of letting the camera adjust to outside conditions before powering up?"

Pretty much. The heat's not your enemy. Air conditioning is.

I had a production company in the Florida Keys for 10 years. My biggest clients were the national marine sanctuary there and Everglades National Park...but I did many, many sand and saltwater shoots, but the camera did fine as long as I took care of the cool-to-warm transition.

As long as you're taking the standard precautions -- not loading tapes with sand actually on your hand -- I don't think you'll need to worry about much more than air conditioning for the shoot itself. Clean the outside of the camera often though. Unless you're shooting in a boat it's unlikely that things will get too salty, but I still like having some alcohol-free wipes handy. Keeps the camera smelling fresh too.

tw

Tim Wilson
Associate Director, CreativeCow.net
Associate Publisher, Creative Cow Magazine!

Return to posts index

Jay Curtis
on Aug 7, 2008 at 11:08:43 pm

Thanks for your insight Tim!

A progress report: it was a trouble free week camerawise. I did end up loosely bagging the camera with a clear plastic garbage bag, using gaff at the eyepiece and lens hood. It was mostly for my sanity, to protect the camera from a wild splash or kick of sand.

Although I was in a cabin with polar bears (they loved the A/C), I didn't have too much trouble with humidity. There was usually that 5 minute walk to the beach that allowed the camera to warm up. On one stormy-looking particularly humid day, I did find that the polarizer liked to fog up on the inside (between the polarizer and the UV filter). I learned that I needed to take the polarizer off until both the camera and the filter had adjusted.

I had them pick up a can of compressed air and a set of lens cleaner & wipes before we left. I used these pretty reguarly, and had no trouble. Thanks to all for the insight!

Jay

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Aug 7, 2008 at 11:57:35 pm

Glad it went well for you, Jay! Thanks for reporting back on your findings -- it really helps other people when they read through topics later on.

Have any cool video to show off from the trip? :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]