FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Gyro's to Buy

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Hodgson
Camera Gyro's to Buy
on Jun 18, 2008 at 1:58:56 pm

Just a quick question in regards to using a stabilizer for a helicopter shoot. I've used the Tyler Middle Mount system and it worked well with my XDCAM 350. I've seen some stabilizers fo sale and was wondering if anyone had any success stories with the more moderate priced ones around 10 - 15k. We get heli shoots 2 or 3 times per year and were hoping that like other tools (glidecam and jib) quality for some of these low priced gyros can be pretty good. I've looked at Kenyon, Aerial Exposures (pricier).

Doug Hodgson

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Camera Gyro's to Buy
on Jun 18, 2008 at 2:41:50 pm

Well, you can't go wrong with Kenyons, that's for sure.

They are definitely pricey to buy... but are available some places for rental, you can even rent them directly from ken-lab (and the rental rates are actually pretty dirt cheap).

I've also seen them crop up on eBay from time to time. Not often, but it happens.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jun 18, 2008 at 2:45:33 pm

Doug,

A handheld stabilizer will never equal a Tyler mount in quality or use-ability. There's no free lunch when it comes to aerial photography. Also a helicopter mounted device is much safer than handholding a heavy camera unit out the open doorway.

JS

Return to posts index

Michael Brennan
on Jun 25, 2008 at 7:49:17 am

Managing clients expectations is vital when it comes to aerials.

Unless we ask we dont know what they are basing their expectations on and they often dont know what equipment was used to deliver the pictures they are trying to replicate.

Only you will know if the compromise in quality is balanced by lower cost of going hand held tyler instead of an active system like Cineflex.

Many markets can't afford a cineflex.

I own a Kenyon and it is helpfull hand held with lighter cameras.

Mike Brennan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]