FORUMS: list search recent posts

Losmandy Spider dolly - opinions?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Woodhead
Losmandy Spider dolly - opinions?
on Apr 23, 2008 at 5:26:53 pm

Looking at a Spider 3 or 4 leg dolly. (If we go w/ the 3, we'd build up to the 4 probably over time... price is the same.) Wondering as to 1st hand user opinions. Have heard one opinion that the Flex track "unwieldy and didnt stay in place and was very bumpy". Went on to say that running the Spider on PVC was fine though. Other thoughts?

Thanks!

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
http://www.CoolNewMedia.net
Quantel-Avid-FCP-3D-Crayola
Panasonic HPX500

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Losmandy Spider dolly - opinions?
on Apr 24, 2008 at 8:18:22 am

The Losmandy equipment is some of the finest in the industry. The flex is track is "flexible" and it's all common sense from there. The flex track is for use ONLY on smooth floors naturally but you can roll it around a corner and you can't do that with anything else.

The spider also converts to a table top unit and nothing else does that either.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Apr 24, 2008 at 11:41:40 am

Thanks Steve.... yeah, I talked with the guy from Hollywood Mech (Spider manufacturer) and he said that user comment was due to improper usage... they should have been using the levelling kit in that situation.

I am still concerned a small bit about how well it works on uneven surfaces, even with the level kit... have you used it in those conditions?

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Apr 25, 2008 at 4:52:47 am

We put the flex on a board or plate or something flat or we use dolly track. the flex is just for flat surfaces

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Apr 25, 2008 at 6:02:24 am

You should check out the Cinevate Ballare Dolly.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Apr 25, 2008 at 1:12:53 pm

Sure does look like they "borrowed" from the Spider's design... Anyway, couldn't consider it w/o seeing the seat. Also look like they use alot of wrench assembly, vs Spider's design.

Though I've seen several posts complaining of problems with Flextrack, I think it appears that you need to be prepared for the location.... if it's uneven, go rent some standard track & shims and be done with it. If it's smooth, whip out the Flex & have fun with it.

Return to posts index

al kal
Re: Hollywood track dolly
on Apr 15, 2009 at 1:41:45 am

Hi I recommend you to buy the track dolly and Flex track from this company it is cheaper and better then Losmandy Spider dolly I bought a track dolly with the solid flex track from this site I am very happy with it also this company
sell on Ebay too I love it take alook
this is the link

http://www.trackdolly.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]