FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting rich, saturated colors with video

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Fubanocci
Getting rich, saturated colors with video
on Apr 14, 2008 at 6:10:03 pm

I'm going to be shooting some action sports footage on an HDV camera (possibly the HVX200). I want to achieve a saturated color effect, like the look Baz Luhrmann uses in his Red Curtain trilogy. How can I do this in camera? What lenses or other techniques would you recommend?

Return to posts index

jon agnew
Re: Getting rich, saturated colors with video
on Apr 15, 2008 at 7:18:48 pm

While there are several different ways to achieve the deep, saturated colors you're after, I have to ask why you want to do it in camera? You'll have MUCH greater flexibility and control doing your color grading in post. If you do it all in camera, you're going to have a much more difficult time changing anything if you aren't entirely happy with what you shoot. I would utilize Apple Color, Magic Bullet Looks, or After Effects to tweak your color.

If you still decide to do it all in-camera, make sure you have an HD monitor that's properly calibrated.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Fubanocci
on Apr 15, 2008 at 7:53:29 pm

As of right now, I don't have access to those programs, and I wouldn't know how to use them if I did have access to them. Are there specific filters, effects or functions you can use to achieve that look with those programs (if i can get access to them), and can you recommend some how-to's or tutorials?

I'd like to make sure I do what I need to do while shooting so that this post work is easier/minimal. I know using a polarized lens can make sky's pop more and make skyscapes more dramatic. Is there anything else, like that, that I should take into consideration while shooting?

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

dana lavoie
on Apr 17, 2008 at 7:09:04 pm

if you are going to shoot with the Panasonic HVX, then you could change some of the scene files like chroma or color temp in the camera. However i suggest that you do a test shoot to find the right settings that will suit your needs.

PS. the Panasonic HVX-200 does not shoot HDV, it does shoot HD when using the P2 cards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]