FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting a love scene

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Bryant
Lighting a love scene
on Mar 26, 2008 at 4:06:57 pm

I am looking to light a love scene which will include nudity...what types of lights are better for skin tones and are there any tips or tricks that anyone can share with me to avoid shadows in certain areas of the body.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Robert Bryant
Re: Lighting a love scene
on Mar 29, 2008 at 2:23:30 am

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 30, 2008 at 4:49:39 am

My suggestion is that maybe you should repost and leave out the nudity part cause we ain't going there.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 30, 2008 at 8:16:04 pm

[Steve Wargo] "maybe you should repost and leave out the nudity part"

Actually, I think this is a perfectly legitimate question. Lots of skin tones, balancing low scene lighting with enough light for the camera -- a combination of issues that have been discussed here plenty.

So this might get pulled up into the other thread that Robert started on your advice. The answers are best left to REAL cinematographers and not me....but a set of issues that most DPs will encounter, or perhaps already have. Either way, there are bunches of you who'll have exactly the answers Robert needs.

On a sort of related note, I did a lot of resort videos in southern Florida 10-15 years ago, and developed some expertise motion tracking blurs (and sometimes logos) across stray body parts. I was inundated with requests for how to deal with this by other shooters.

No giggling, no winking or nudging between us -- it was a real live production problem that our clients expected us to solve. Trust me, the clients weren't giggling either -- they were sweating bullets. Get it right, we got the check. Get it wrong, our clients got served with papers. And guess who was next in line after that.

Like I said, you real cinematographers will have the answers, but Robert's problem is a real one too.

tw

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 31, 2008 at 1:03:14 am

There had to be a reason that no one responded. That's the only thing that popped out to me. Some people just don't want to be connected regardless of how legit it may be.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Robert Bryant
on Mar 31, 2008 at 4:04:56 am

Thanks for the responses guys. I also tried a repost and got no bites on that either..I am trying to have natural looking light while accenting the skin tones. I was advised to use a piece of wax paper over my camera light but I am unsure of what would be best as far as my light rigs go.. I am using a 3 light system.

Also...is there a suggestion on how to avoid seeing the flash from a still camera while we are filming...or is the only solution to stop filming and recreate certain aspects to be captured asa picture.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jim Tuchschmidt
on Mar 31, 2008 at 4:39:56 am

I do not have a suggestion for lighting, exactly. I assume some of the lighting technique depends on the mood you are going after and set considerations that might motivate the lighting. But, I might suggest you try a warm black pro mist filter. This will bring out the skin tones and soften detail. These come in various strengths. I have found a 1/2 to 1 to be more than enough. If you look at Tiffen's web site, you can see before and after pictures.

Jim

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Apr 2, 2008 at 1:47:15 am

I'm thinking that the same rules apply for the rest of the body as they do for faces. If you want it to look nice, use soft lights with plenty of diffusion. Also... (how can I put this delicately?) um...makeup is not just for faces. Get a professional makeup artist who is familiar with more than just the techniques they would use with your local evening news anchors.

At any rate, Jim said, certain lens filters can help you achieve a certain mood, and you have several options in post to control your "look".

Check out the book selection in the art photography section at your local Barnes & Noble or online at amazon. I'm sure there are resources there that will help.

Finally...just an observation...I've found that the most compelling love scenes in film don't actually *show* nudity, they just *hint* at it - through silhouettes, diffusion, or strategic framing and cuts. If just showing *everything* was that compelling, the lingerie business would probably not exist. ;-)

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 5, 2008 at 3:22:07 am

[Timothy J. Allen] "Finally...just an observation...I've found that the most compelling love scenes in film don't actually *show* nudity, they just *hint* at it - through silhouettes, diffusion, or strategic framing and cuts. If just showing *everything* was that compelling, the lingerie business would probably not exist. ;-)"

One of my favorite cartoons from a certain magazine that used to seem risque, when I saw this in 1965: two businessmen sitting on a park bench, as a perfectly gorgeous, perfectly nude young woman walks by. One businessman says to the other, "I bet she'd be a knockout in a bathing suit."

At age 11 I thought that was weird. Now...

As for the lighting question, since everybody goes for suggestive low light, try suggestive high key: let this happen in a room with sunlight blasting away in broad venetian-blind stripes, completely overexposing various areas.

Bob C

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]