FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting Hollywood style

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Probyn
Lighting Hollywood style
on Mar 24, 2008 at 8:44:43 am

Hi there

Have an up coming interview with a female star of the silver screen.Hasnt been requested,but just to cover my arse.. if Iam asked to give an eye light.. using a Dedo light... what would be the best technique ..

In doco work I have never used one... I think its using a small light close to the lens,barned or snooted just for the eye,s????? otherwise I,ll just be using Chimera,s

Any advise in general for lighting Hollywood types.I wont have massive silks etc,just in a hotel room.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Lighting Hollywood style
on Mar 24, 2008 at 8:48:51 am

If you have Chimeras, I would doubt that you need an additional light. Eye lights are used when the rest of the lighting is subdued and only the eyes are to be accented. OR, if the talent has facial features that warrant it as in very deep set eyes..

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Mar 24, 2008 at 9:08:51 am

Thanks Steve.

I wondered if this eye light was used even with other lighting to give some sparkle? in the eye,s

Personally its not the sort of lighting technique I would ever use... but if its requested thought I should get some advise from others on this forum.

I could always refuse and spit the dummy .... haha

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 25, 2008 at 5:51:30 am

[Robin Probyn] "I could always refuse and spit the dummy"

OK, you got me. What in the world are you meaning with this? It sounds like something I'd say.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Mar 25, 2008 at 6:26:14 am

ha! yes I heard it in Australia... it means to throw a tantrum ... i.e. like a baby crying so hard it spits its dummy out.

Its a great expression ...

As in.... alright mate no need to spit the dummy... and less likely hood of a knuckle sandwich in response to more colourful rebuttals ....

Return to posts index

Serge Hamad
on Mar 26, 2008 at 4:12:07 am

Hi,

I wouldn't use a Dedo as an eye light. It's way too strong even when you dim & focus it.

In small rooms I got great results with a Mag light attached to the camera with the front part unscrewed.

Hope this helps,

Salut,
Serge

Invigorator/Proanimator Training: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hamad_serge/invig_training.php

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Mar 26, 2008 at 1:01:56 pm

ok thanks.thats a good idea...I guess it was one of the bigger mag lites?

It seems they want a very flat and soft light,all for the soft light,but I like to have some shadow/modelling on the face.Looks pretty boring otherwise.Its just a head and shoulders shot really.

Maybe it looks good on 35mm and graded to Timbuktu and back?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]