FORUMS: list search recent posts

A Day at the Beach

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jenkins
A Day at the Beach
on Mar 11, 2008 at 3:51:18 pm

Got the Letus Extreme a few weeks ago, so I've been out playing around with various Nikon lenses. Lots of nice textures at this beach. 720p 145 MB file; will stream with a fast connection.

http://www.flowmotionmedia.com/clips/A_Day_at_the_Beach.mov

After 5 tries I gave up on making it a link...

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: A Day at the Beach
on Mar 11, 2008 at 5:02:04 pm

Looks good, Jason... especially the longer lenses.

Weren't tempted to haul out your new Porta-Jib?

What camera?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Mar 11, 2008 at 5:25:32 pm

[Todd Terry] "Looks good, Jason... especially the longer lenses.

Weren't tempted to haul out your new Porta-Jib?

What camera?"

Thanks Todd! You had to ask about the Porta-Jib didn't you? I had it in the car, but in my haste to get out the door, I left the counterweights behind... no laughing! It's not quite the same without those weights...

I'm using the HVX-200. It's been a really fun leap getting into HD and the lens adapter. I've been shooting with Sony Handycams ever since the VX-1000 and for some time I had been feeling like I had outgrown that format. Creatively, I'm in heaven with this new setup. The next step is a mattebox with a polarizer and some graduated ND's.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 11, 2008 at 6:20:39 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "It's not quite the same without those weights..."

Umm, no, not quite. :)

[Jason Jenkins] "Creatively, I'm in heaven with this new setup."

You'll like it... I've been DoF adapting for about two years (Canon XLH1 and P+S Technik) and since I started doing that I have not pulled even one frame of film... and I used to shoot a lot of 35mm. I should sell the film cameras, but just can't seem to part with them.

[Jason Jenkins] "The next step is a mattebox with a polarizer and some graduated ND's."

You may want to put a good follow focus unit on that "next step" list... maybe even at the top. Focusing is going to be critical with that setup, especially if you are using SLR lenses (which are much more difficult to focus than cine lenses). Following a subject with ever-changing focus is a challenge when you have an extremely shallow DoF, and a FF unit will really help.

As for matte boxes, the Redrock folks are finally releasing their matte box after a long wait. It looks like a good unit, and the price is really right. The best part about it is that it's a swing-away, so it will make changing those primes much easier. I'm probably going to buy one and sell my old matte box.

Happy shooting,

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Mar 11, 2008 at 7:09:48 pm

[Todd Terry] "As for matte boxes, the Redrock folks are finally releasing their matte box after a long wait. It looks like a good unit, and the price is really right. The best part about it is that it's a swing-away, so it will make changing those primes much easier. I'm probably going to buy one and sell my old matte box."

Were on the same track there. I'm not on the reservation list for the Redrock MB, but I'll be grabbing one when they reach general availability. As far as the follow focus goes, I'm holding out for Cinevate's offering which should be here before too long.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]