FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting through the windshield or no

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryon Middleton
Shooting through the windshield or no
on Feb 13, 2008 at 3:10:38 pm

Hello, I will be shooting some auto some auto spots in the near future. There will be two subjects in the car's front seats. The car will be stationary in our studio, but ultimately perceived as moving. We will be doing background lighting effects manually while shooting and probably some in post. I was wondering if anyone had some general tips to give me on shooting through the windshield. Such as, should we take the windshields out, leave em in and make some sort of black hoods to limit reflections. Use a polarizing filter?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, except for smart aleck comment which I seem to have been receiving more often as of late.

Bryon Middleton
Director of A/V Services
Media One Inc.

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci
Re: Shooting through the windshield or no
on Feb 14, 2008 at 1:05:14 am

When we shoot similar scenes we generally;

-remove all glass
-Green screen the background
-Shoot background plates to match angles
-Shoot reflection plates for glass
-Create glass in post add reflections
-Add vibration to the camera in post
-Add small particules for atmospheric effects (if needed)
-Color correction to match all shots

If you shoot through the glass just remmember the front windshield is slightly blue and needs to be compensated to match other shots.

Hope this helps.

Emre
http://www.productionpit.com
Boxx Tech PC, dual-dual AMD 2.0,4BG ram,Avidexpress HD w/Mojo,UVW-1800,DSR-25, Adobe Premium CS3.Gspeed ES.Steadicam OP/Owner.

"Creative cow is udder madness."

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Feb 14, 2008 at 2:58:07 am

[Bryon Middleton] " except for smart aleck comment which I seem to have been receiving more often as of late. "

Bryon,

Don't let the little people get you down. Master your craft and don't look back.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1.

Return to posts index

Mark Wagoner
on Feb 15, 2008 at 5:36:08 am

If you do not have the time or budget to remove the glass, here are a few thoughts. A polarizer seems like a good idea until you find out the with some glass, like car glass it will make other things show up in the glass. Like plastics or pressure, or coatings in the glass itself. Test first, may help or cause more problems. Remember the rule or reflections, Angle of Incidence equals and Angle of reflectance. Keep the lights off axis with lens, I think some moving reflections will help you sell the shot. Mount the camera in places where you would mount it for a moving car shot, this will help the viewer understand and suspend. If you shoot with a long lens from across the studio it will be harder to visually understand the shot. The viewer has preconceptions of what a moving car shot will look like, use that.

Good Luck
Mark Wagoner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]