FORUMS: list search recent posts

Depth of field in outdoors?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diego Gogni
Depth of field in outdoors?
on Feb 13, 2008 at 12:23:00 pm

I own a SonyA1. I was wonder, How to get the minimu Depth of field in outdoors?

I know , because the amount of light that I can not open the F's And I'm looking to have the minimu cause I want to do manual focus...but everithing's in focus!

thanx

Great forum!

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: Depth of field in outdoors?
on Feb 13, 2008 at 2:03:37 pm

Hi Diego...

You're battling pure physics and optics there. The smaller the size of the sensor in a camera, the greater the depth of field will be. Your camera has a very tiny sensor, therefore depth of field is almost infinite. Even if you open up the iris fully (outdoors or indoors) you depth of field is going to be very very deep.

Shooting with as long a focal length as possible (i.e., "zoom in") will decrease the perceived depth of field a little bit, but of course that dictates your composition and framing.

The only real way to truly get a shallow DoF with a small camera like yours is to use a 35mm lens converter and shoot with cine lenses or 35mm SLR (still camera) lenses.

This has been discussed a great great deal here in recent months in various COW forums (some would say ad nauseum, so much so that it became a little bit of a sore subject for a couple of people). Do a COW search for "depth of field" and you will find a huge number of posts about it.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Diego Gogni
Re: Depth of field in outdoors?
on Feb 13, 2008 at 2:12:01 pm

THANX, and my apologies, I'v just read that there was a thread about thus.

Thanx Again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]