FORUMS: list search recent posts

Purchasing stock footage

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar Deflorez
Purchasing stock footage
on Jan 20, 2008 at 4:54:52 pm

I am shooting DV, half inch 3XCCD. I wondered if anyone here has any experience with using footage aquired from a company such as Getty Images (SD film stock) and using it along side DV footage for use in a film - not documentary - thus needing the two mediums to cut together smoothly without to much difference in appearance. Seems like I'm asking the impossible, but thought I'd ask for your input here. Is there anything I can do to my footage to help them blend? If not with my DV then what format's besides 35mm would cut together best along side SD film stock footage?
Also, Getty requires that you register to get prices - I wondered if someone here could give me an idea of what it cost to aquire older SD film shots. Are we talking hundreds or thousands? Do companies like this tend to give indies a break?

Return to posts index

Jason Prisk
Re: Purchasing stock footage
on Mar 1, 2008 at 3:58:20 am

You will probably find that high-end stock doesn't match up to DV real well. Saturation and overall smoothness of the image will be better when shot on a higher dollar format such as Beta SP or especially HD formats. For something going to film, I think you may not be perfectly happy. For corporate promos or docs, it works great.

As far as cost goes... If it is a concern, you should probably stick with footage collections from digitaljuice.com, istockvideo.com, revostock.com or places like that. It is relatively inexpensive footage (especially Digital Juice), but alot of it is still pretty decent.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]