FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need some REEL critics.

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Pearson
I need some REEL critics.
on Jan 19, 2008 at 4:44:14 am

Hey guys. Here's a link to my first demo reel. Please give me some comments. What works? What doesn't? What do I need to change?

thanks in advance.

http://www.liftfilms.net/demoreel.htm

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci
Re: I need some REEL critics.
on Jan 19, 2008 at 12:42:21 pm

Hello Luke,

First of all congratulations on your first reel....! This is my honest opinion, only meant to be constructive.

1-When I look at a reel I like to see something that I would not have thought of or could not do for myself. All the scenes are images that a motivated consumer can acquire by himself. It needs to have an edge that would drive people to your business. For example the shot with the ferry. I would have rented a simple jib for $100-$150 a day and filmed that with a small lift. A simple and common trick but it would immediately place you in a higher standing. Same applies to the other images as well, the motion the jib will provide you would really add dynamics. Same for the golfing shots.

2-I did not really care for the vignetting effect. It was too harsh and distracting.

3- Some images and sequences are too long: When I saw the crab images with the fake depth of field I thought It looked cool but then I saw another one and another one....Same with the diving footage. Your images need to have high impact (when appropriate) and kept tastefully short. I would have cut it as: 1st crab shot, cut to divers mask, cut to underwater shot of diver entering water, move to another subject. You would have to acquire maybe 10 times more material to make a reel but it would kick a**.

4- Take the fish spearing out. I don't mind it, but somebody might.

5- I like your last shot of golfer and tree transition but after you zoom in to her lifting her hand you need to paint out her image in the background.

6-Your title should be at the end or end where your title shows. Because by the time the reel ended I had forgotten who it was.

Again congratulations on your reel and hopefully it will drive you good business.

Emre
http://www.productionpit.com
Boxx Tech PC, dual-dual AMD 2.0,4BG ram,Avidexpress HD w/Mojo,UVW-1800,DSR-25, Adobe Premium CS3.Steadicam OP/Owner.

"Creative cow is udder madness."

Return to posts index

Luke Pearson
on Jan 19, 2008 at 2:39:19 pm

Great advice. I was prepared to hear a lot of what you said so I'll try to work on it. I'm still a student right now so my portfolio isn't very large. I have access to some equipment at school I might use just to beef up the reel. Thanks for taking the time to check it out and comment. take care.

Luke Pearson
http://www.LiftFilms.net
"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels" Hebrews 13:2

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Jan 19, 2008 at 5:29:11 pm

Hi Luke:

Some nice imagery. I have a few questions for you:

1. Who is the reel supposed to be aimed at? Who is your audience? Shooters looking for an editor? Wedding couples? I am a little confused as far as who it should be appealing to.

2. Not a single lit shot. To be honest, it's not that difficult to go out and get some cool nature and outdoor footage. What separates the men from the boys are shots that are lit beautifully, that show a potential client, "this guy can do it all, nature, outdoor and indoor" If your target is weddings, I would want to know that you can either light a wedding or shoot within the confines of available light and make it looks killer.

3. Agree, vignetting is too distracting and there seems to be no reason for it.

4. Really like the underwater stuff, that shows some depth and breadth to what you can do.

5. Not a bad reel at all but you need to focus and probably have at least 2-3 reels, one each for different audiences.

Best,

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Luke Pearson
on Jan 19, 2008 at 6:12:59 pm

Thanks Dan.
It was technically a project for school so I was mainly using a lot of the footage I've filmed lately just to show my professor. But I want to construct it into a finished product to send out to people.

2. I have some lit interviews i've lit and filmed but I didnt have them on my hard drive when I edited my reel. I'll try to fit them in now.

3. the Vignetting looked better on my monitor than it did on the web. It was cut off at the action safe zones and just made the edges a little soft. I def. agree its doesn't look good right now.

4. Thanks for the complements on the underwater shots. I want to get some more of that.

Thanks for all the help. I'll def. update it as soon as I get plenty of feedback and see what i can do.

Luke Pearson

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.
-Hebrews 13:2

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Jan 21, 2008 at 4:58:09 pm

I would encourage you to encode the piece in 16x9 eliminating the letter boxing. Also I would suggest de-interlacing the reel if you intend it to be viewed on the web. The interlace artifact can be quite distracting. I appreciate your vulnerability in providing your reel for critique.

Nick

Return to posts index

Luke Pearson
on Jan 21, 2008 at 5:26:14 pm

Good ideas. Thanks for your input.

Luke Pearson

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.
-Hebrews 13:2

Return to posts index

Richard Blakeslee
on Jan 23, 2008 at 1:55:27 am

Hello Nick,

I've been letterboxing a lot of my edits out of FCP. Question, How does one encode in 16x9 to avoid letterboxing? I've tried using QT Conversion with 16x9 checked, anamorphic: and compressor. I can't seem to make a DV 4x3 come out 'encoded' as 16x9 without looking 'streched'.

Thanks for any input on this.

Richard

Return to posts index

Boyd McCollum
on Jan 25, 2008 at 3:28:54 am

you may want to post this on the FCP forum with it's own subject heading.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]