taek817
Digital Imaging Technician
on Nov 28, 2007 at 12:53:14 pm

What is concept of D.I.T?

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: Digital Imaging Technician
on Dec 8, 2007 at 3:34:26 pm

Right now it's sort of all over the place.

For some, it's just a different name for the shoot engineer...handles all things technical in the camera dept. including connections and signal types for recording devices and monitors...that sort of thing.

For others, it's about the data recorded. The DIT deals with file housekeeping/backups, verification, hardrive/P2/CF/RAM changing/emptying/duplicating...etc.

For still others, the DIT is focused on the camera, which is often a camcorder of course...and that person would be involved in whatever adjustments a camera engineer would be doing involving matrix tweaking and even other simpler menu choices, etc.

For some, it's all of this, for others it's something different yet, for others the role is even tighter than any of these three scenarios.

I suspect ultimetly that the term "DIT" will end up going the way of "multimedia" where the meaning has been so twisted and misused and vaguely defined that it will ultimately have to be discarded for something more definitive in order to truly add any clarity to any of these roles.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jun 19, 2009 at 9:01:36 pm

[taek817] "What is concept of D.I.T?"

The Digital Imaging Technician is an on-set video engineer who works closely with the DP, and under his or her direct supervision, to: make sure the recorded signal is properly recorded; to digitally adjust color, contrast, and saturation of the recorded image; to make sure that each scene contains the "look" the DP desires and matches previous similar scenes or shots; and also checks carefully during every take to make sure focus is correct and tells the DP when it is not. In addition to quality control, he or she also trouble shoots any snafus that occur to any of the video equipment.

Most of the full-up HD shoots, whether feature or commercial, employ a DIT. The alternative is to "fix it in post." If you are shooting with the Red, you do not really need one since you record raw signals. However, it would be to your advantage to have a fully-trained and very smart video engineer with you to handle equipment breakdowns, as well as to make sure everything is recorded correctly.

IATSE local 60 now recognizes the DIT as a member of the DP's crew.

Rick Wise
director of photography
and custom lighting design
Oakland, CA
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Krzysztof Wlodarczyk
on Sep 8, 2009 at 10:47:19 am

Once I found good explenation for that term on Peter's Gray page. Digital Image Technician/On-set colorist. That explains what that job exactly is. You do not need to only now the menus and setups in the camera, but control the image with a paintbox adjusting it to the desired look. This includes not only gamma setting brightness, contrast white balance, but also more detailed setups like detail, noise reduction, secondary color correction in the camera etc in every scene. It's a very common job in Poland as it is very cost effective matching whole material on set instead of "fixing everything in post". Other thing DIT has to be familiar with is what is happening to the material after his job is done - so know how to record the image for the specific post proces. I'm not sure if this way of work is popular worldwide as I had some problems getting paintboxes in some countries (even in LA).
As for RED I wouldn't agree that you don't need a DIT for that kind of jobs. DIT's job on RED is to record the proper RAW signal - so you could use as much information in post as you can. No matter what many people say about RED, it is a video camera - records from 0 to 109 IRE, has fixed speed (without noise and over exposure), doesn't let you underexpose or over expose much. You need to have some experience in video to know how to handle that camera. And having a DIT on set you can also setup desired look using camera settings, at the same time keeping the RAW image clear.
Working with digital I would recomend hiring experienced DIT (not only because I am one of them;), it gives you much more confidence of what's happening to the image you are recording, because in video what you record is what you get - knot much space for mistakes;).

Krzysztof Wlodarczyk
Digital Image Technician/Camera Assistant
diggin.info@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]