FORUMS: list search recent posts

Formatt HD Soft filter for matte box? (& ND grads)

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Woodhead
Formatt HD Soft filter for matte box? (& ND grads)
on Oct 9, 2007 at 10:57:02 pm

I'd like to add some filters to my Cavision matte box (4x4 rotating & 4x5.65 non-rotating). Already have a 4x5.65 horizontal Tiffen polarizer. Want to get a graduated ND, probably a .6 ? Would this cover most daylight contrast issues, or should I consider a .3 / .9 as well?
After seeing firsthand how razor-sharp skin detail is in HD, I'm also thinking it'd be great to have a "soft" filter, perhaps the Formatt HD Soft? Comments / suggestions?

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
http://www.CoolNewMedia.net
Quantel-Avid-FCP-3D-Crayola
Panasonic HPX500

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: Formatt HD Soft filter for matte box? (& ND grads)
on Oct 10, 2007 at 3:11:32 am

As to the ND, I would go ahead and get a .3, .6, and a .9. I personally find I use the .9 more than the other two.

Plus, if you are a bargain hunter it's worth noting that several of the filter makers offer an ND set that contains all three of those... usually for substantially less than if you bought all three individually.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Oct 13, 2007 at 12:19:46 am

I think you,ll find the .3 and .6 grad not much use for skies,unless you double them up in the mattbox.I eventually found a 1.2 ND grad and pretty much only use this,it will bring down a very bright sky,and make a darkish sky really moody.
Also have a Thunder Grad,cant remember the maker,but this is great for skies,ND with some blue.
Out of habit I once used a 1/4 black promist with a F900 at 24p,and got feed back that it was too soft? as by shooting 24p the image is no where near as sharp as shooting HD in 50i or 60i.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Oct 13, 2007 at 10:18:07 am

Thanks for the feedback. Would you recommend a promist over a soft (the new softs from Tiffen/Formatt designed for HD)? From the sample images (as IF you could make a decision via those!), I prefer the promist, but no idea how they'll play out in the field.

While writing this reply, my ignorance overtook me, and I had to go turn on the camera (HPX500) and see just how much I could slide the 4x4 stage vertically (as you would to position a graduated ND). I was *surprised* at how much I could "cut into" the glass, without seeing the esge of the filter tray onscreen! This was with a Fuji 17x7.6 - can I assume that with a wide angle adapter (or lens), there won't be as much positioning lattitude? How to adjust a ND grad then? (PS - my Cavision mattebox has 1 rotating 4x4 & 1 fixed 4x5.65)

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Oct 13, 2007 at 1:22:34 pm

Sorry I havnt used the new for HD softs,I use a 1/8th white promist mostly now,to be honest its main purpose is to protect the front element of the lens!

The filter tray,or mattbox will cut in from the sides before top or bottom.7.6 should be fine,but when you get down to 4.7 you may need a new mattbox.
You can use the grad in the rotating tray sometimes for (arty) dutch angle shots,etc,no rules really,but its going to look more than a bit strange if you have say a sea horizon in shot.
Great thing about an ND grad,is you can pretty much see where it is in the eye piece,a colour one is ofcourse not a good idea in a BW eye piece,then you need a good monitor.
Can also zoom through a grad if you need to grab a long lens shot right then,but best to take it out when you dont need it!

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Oct 13, 2007 at 1:26:08 pm

Yes the vertical latitude of how far before the tray comes into shot depends on the angle of the lens.The wider the less latitude.
And mostly you,ll be wanting to use the grad on big wide shots.Landscape stuff.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]