FORUMS: list search recent posts

V1 or DVX for fiml?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
phorland
V1 or DVX for fiml?
on Sep 11, 2007 at 1:53:38 am

Does the Sony HVR-V1U offer a serious advantage when shooting a film over the DVX100B? Can the progressive footage out of the Sony be accessed as easily as the one out of the Panasonic?
Rick said he was not crazy about HDV, so should I conclude that the motion artifact of the HDV codec are not worth the trouble of added resolution over what can be achieved with the DVX100B?
Phil

Return to posts index

mattdawgpro
Re: V1 or DVX for fiml?
on Sep 11, 2007 at 4:18:06 pm

In my opinion, if you are going to film, you need the extra resolution. Both cameras will shoot progressive, and you can handle the pulldown just as easily from either. My suggestion would be to shoot the V1U and get the footage transfered to HDCAM and just be done with it, forgetting about the HDV editing problems altogether. Yes HDV has some compression problems, you may see artifacts here and there, but DV ins't exactly the greatest format in the world either as far as compression goes. You should be able to get a sharper image with more room to play with in post if you shoot the V1 and transfer to HDCAM.

Return to posts index

phorland
on Sep 13, 2007 at 1:33:22 pm

I'm starting to be a little concerned about the audio capabilities of those HDV cams, that's why I'm still considering the DVX100B

Return to posts index

mattdawgpro
on Sep 13, 2007 at 5:00:22 pm

Like what in specific? As long as you have a professional off camera mic there shouldn't be any discernable difference in audio quality. You could always record to a DAT too. If you're going to film I would put picture quality and resolution first in my camera choice, then audio second as there are viable work arounds to getting professional audio (like a DAT or recording to laptop), and you won't need your audio married to picture anyway for film out. You're going to have to split the audio mix away from picture and treat the audio as a seperate element for lay-down.

Return to posts index

Phorland
on Sep 16, 2007 at 11:03:50 pm

Sure, I could use a DAT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]