FORUMS: list search recent posts

A Surefire story...

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leo Ticheli
A Surefire story...
on Aug 28, 2007 at 2:26:13 pm

Just returned from a cross-country shoot in amusement parks with a new respect for my Surefire flashlight.

Since our work was to be exteriors, we did not have a lighting package with us. The client requested that we shoot in a "Dark Ride;" I could boost the gain a little with the VariCam but the practical light from the tableau in the ride was far too low level to reveal the riders as they passed by.

I considered just shooting them as silhouettes, but the client wanted to see the riders faces. I pulled out my 100 lumens Surefire L4 flashlight and we tracked the riders car with it.

Certainly not my first choice in a lighting package, but it worked beautifully!

Later on the shoot we were doing a magic-hour campfire scene and I used the Surefire inside a tent to give it an inviting warm glow to stand out from the background.

I'm never without my Surefire!

Good shooting and best regards,

Leo

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
Re: A Surefire story...
on Aug 30, 2007 at 3:29:01 pm

Funny you bring up this lighting tool. Just the other day we were shooting in a bar and the characters made a spontaneous reference to a John wayne picture on the wall. I knew my camera operators would tilt up to see it, and I knew it would be dark, so I quickly asked my 2nd ac for her flashlight and I hit the picture with her surefire. It worked perfectly and we didn't have to get an insert. the magic of un-motivated lighting.

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
http://www.toddmcmullen.com

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Aug 31, 2007 at 7:46:29 am

When we shoot, we sometimes use a frosted plastic slate/clapboard. To see it at night, I hit the back of it with a light so the camera can read it.

Are we going for some kind of prize here?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

P. J. in Hollywood
on Oct 26, 2007 at 5:35:02 am

Hay! Why not contact Sure Fire and get product placement or advertisement placement deal with your next film? Heck, write it into the script and send it to a product placement agency. What is there to loose? Might get some free flash lights for the crew.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]