FORUMS: list search recent posts

V1U 24p vs. 30p Documentary Project

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
KMimsey
V1U 24p vs. 30p Documentary Project
on Aug 27, 2007 at 5:44:07 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm beginning new projects, and wanted to get an opinion on which speed to shoot at. I'm using the Sony HVR-V1U which shoots HDV.

The first project is a series of short documentary style pieces on an AIDS camp in the Bahamas and an orphanage in the Bahamas. These are going to be more cinematic a

nd won't have a ton of fast movement or action, if any at all. The second project is a series of promotional videos for a children's center and intern program. This is going to be fast paced, and will probably involve shots of kids doing activities, sports, etc. Lots of movement.

While I love the look of 24p, it doesn't do well with lots of movement/action, especially fast movement. It's also a real pain to edit. I never have found a workflow that worked well for me. I always ended up with some kind of field/cadence issue (I'm about to update to FCS2, and I'm not well versed yet in how it handles this issue. Does anyone know how it does with 24p shot on the Sony HVR-V1U?).

I haven't done much with 30p yet. From my understanding, it looks better than 60i (less video-like) and handles motion better than 24p. However, I've never edited in 30p. What is that process like/what is involved in that?

What is the standard format for documentary type projects? It is going to be filmed in the Bahamas, and some other stuff I've shot here has turned out absolutely beautiful.

Also, my final modes of delivery are going to be standard def DVD for home use, online, big-screen projector projecting and possibly broadcast.

So, what do you think? What tips would you have?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Leo Ticheli
Re: V1U 24p vs. 30p Documentary Project
on Aug 27, 2007 at 10:24:12 pm

This is a subject that has been beaten to death so many times it's like the Night of the Living Dead.

The consensus is that 24 fps is more "filmic" or "cinematic" and more interesting to watch and 30 fps is more "live" or "video" looking. Taste is individual, but 24 fps is the overwhelming choice of most cinematographers.

You wrote, "While I love the look of 24p, it doesn't do well with lots of movement/action, especially fast movement. It's also a real pain to edit."

I strongly disagree on both points.

Obviously, 24 fps is just fine for all the action motion pictures in the hands of cinematographers who know how to use it. If you have the skills to use it properly, perhaps you simply don't really like the look. Of course it's your choice to make.

As far as editing goes, there is no increase in difficulty in editing a 24 frame time-line rather than a 30 frame time-line. At least not for the editors in my facility. Perhaps you should request aid in the appropriate editing forum.

Best of luck on your projects and good shooting!

Leo

Return to posts index

donatello
Re: V1U 24p vs. 30p Documentary Project
on Sep 4, 2007 at 3:38:40 pm

editing 30p is no different then 60i ...
i prefer the look of 30p over 60i ...
i've shot 2 doc's in 30p ...
if you set up your editing preferences as interlace then all titles , panning frame, etc are create in interlace over progressive clip ..
if you set up project as progressive then those elements are created progressively ...

i usually prefer moving titles to be interlace over images ...

you might do a few test using 30p to see what you think ...

big downside to 30p - it looks TERRIBLE if you need to make a film out ...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]