FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stunt Demo Reel (Directors please read!)

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sheldonhull
Stunt Demo Reel (Directors please read!)
on Jun 19, 2007 at 7:36:39 pm

This is especially a question for directors, or people who are responsible for hiring. I am in the processing of putting together ideas for a stunt demo reel for my friend who is getting involved with Hollywood stunt work.
What are the major things that you look for in a stunt DVD demo reel?
What do you absolutely hate?

Some ideas:
----If i avoid the typical cliche of the stunt man having clips of flips in a gym and instead had him: Emerge out of the water at the ocean onto a pier and do a handstand spin onto the peir and edit some into slow motion, and while showing his work make it a "mini story" would this engage you? Not boring, or overdramatic, but would this be original to you, or is it typical. I've never done this, but want to avoid, "Here's Joe. Watch him flip. Wow, he kicks really good. Instead I want it to be almost like a mini story/music vid". I've though about renting a dolly to, and having some spinning shots around him while he is doing a one handed hand stand or something technically more challenging.
-- would you be interested if the stunt guy had some other martial artist fight with him and they choregraphed and little stunt work fighting back and forth?
--- What about a clip with flips and sword play and edit in a lightsword during part of it. Would it make you enjoy it a bit if it didn't look corny, but was fun?

Let me know what you guys think. I want this to be his best asset in presenting his work, and for it to not to be taken lightly, but I'm not a director. I just don't want to be boring.

Sheldon Hull

Return to posts index

sheldonhull
Re: Stunt Demo Reel (Directors please read!)
on Jun 19, 2007 at 7:38:44 pm

[sheldonhull] "What are the major things that you look for in a stunt DVD demo reel?"

One other thought:

What are considered some really go things to include that set a stunt man above the ordinary, any particular moves I should film him doing, any particular gymnastic feat?

Sheldon

Sheldon Hull

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jun 22, 2007 at 6:34:47 am

My recommendation for any demo reel is to give me a piece at three minutes, appropriate music and effects, and not overdone, more like a trailer. Have a second section available that is more along the line of showing longer, more dramatic clips.

We can usually tell if someone has it in the first few minutes. If we're interested, we can then watch more. I don't really have time to watch anything over a few minutes, unless you can thrill me in those few minutes.

Also, I would rather watch a clip on the net than go through the process of opening mail, getting the dvd player fired up and then finding out that my dvd player won't play the DVD+R that someone sent me. If you do your promo by e-mail, use Constant Contact or someone else so your e-mail looks professional.

My mail, package the piece professionally and include all of your contact info on the package and on the disc. When someone sends me a demo and the label is written in marker pen, it goes straight into the trash. Same for anything with spelling errors. You get one chance, make it right.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jun 29, 2007 at 6:43:15 am

So, I put this line in about checking your spelling and grammer and then I send a typo. Someone just kill me, please.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]