FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow Motion, 60i

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sheldonhull
Slow Motion, 60i
on Jun 19, 2007 at 7:29:19 pm

I've done some research on this, but I'd still like your opinion. If I am renting a Xl2 and in the morning going to make a stunt demo reel with bit of a store time line with it, there will be a lot of action shots, flips motion. And I want to have the option to fast foward and slow motion. For a stunt video with fast moving flips etc, 60i and then downconverting with aftereffects would be the best right?

2ndly, to avoid having to do this for every clip, is there a way to do all my clips for the shoot? I guess just shoot one long clip then cut and edit?

last, if I am down coverting, it will be approx 40% of the original speed with the 60 frames per second conversion from the 60i, and I'd like to know if Sony Vegas will let you fast foward that 40% enough to make it relatively fast motion. I am assuming it will, but I've never tried this, and am brand new to AE.

Thanks!

Sheldon Hull

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: Slow Motion, 60i
on Jun 20, 2007 at 4:56:30 pm

To answer just part of your questions... yes, if you shoot 60i you can slow-mo it down to 40%. It should cut fairly well with NON slow-mo 24P footage.

One VERY IMPORTANT additional thing... for the shots you intend to slow-mo to look "right," you MUST also increase your shutter speed. Say, to 160th or 180th of a second or so. That way, your video footage will then resemble the look of "real" slow-mo'ed film, where the camera was actually overcranked. If you do NOT increase the shutter speed, then each individual frame will have way too much motion blur in it, and when viewed at 40% it just won't look right (it will look blurry).

Just remember to always change your shutter speed back to 1/48th when you go back to shooting 24P for the NON slow-mo shots, or the video will look stuttery.

Oh, BTW, you can go slower than 40% too, if you want, by using frame interpolation software, such as Twixtor.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

sheldonhull
Re: Slow Motion, 60i
on Jun 20, 2007 at 5:06:15 pm

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

Sheldon Hull

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]