FORUMS: list search recent posts

Career in Cinematography..need getting started advice/help

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heather Crank
Career in Cinematography..need getting started advice/help
on Jun 9, 2007 at 1:16:49 am

A friend of mine would really like to get into cinematography. I wanted to hear from people in this profession and see if they went to school, took a few classes, interned with someone, or just worked their way up. He went to school for commercial photography but dropped out after 2 years because of finances and is ready to pick the ball up again. Really what he always wanted to go into was cinematography....

Thanks for your thoughts,

Heather

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
Re: Career in Cinematography..need getting started advice/help
on Jun 11, 2007 at 2:28:50 pm

All of the above and all of two decades. tell them to be patient. and to experiement.

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
http://www.toddmcmullen.com

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: Career in Cinematography..need getting started advice/help
on Jun 11, 2007 at 4:37:10 pm

Agreed... and learn as much as possible by doing and watching. I learned more about REAL cinematography on the first day I ever spent on a real movie set than I did in four years of film school.

Commercial directors/cinematographers are good ones to latch onto and try to beg/pester/intern as much as you can, since they have to work very fast, do lots of different kinds of setups, and work on different types of projects that come and go very quickly (as opposed to a feature film where they might be shooting the same type of stuff for weeks on end). Lots of GREAT DoPs (cinematographers as well as still photographers) have strong commercial backgrounds.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]