FORUMS: list search recent posts

light kit for shooting green screen suggestions

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
edr
light kit for shooting green screen suggestions
by
on Jun 1, 2007 at 4:44:45 pm

I have a 3 chip camcorder panasonic DVC-30 and I am currently using 2 victor 250 watts hot lights to light my actors in front of my green screen. I know this is not the greatest set up but I have gotten decents keys out of them. For some reason my lastest shoots on green screen has come out very bad. The colors are way off and my video is very grainy and the images are not clear. The camera is about 2 years old. I do not know if I need to clean the lens or take it to someone that can look at it.

I am guessing I need to step up my light systems. My budget is really under $200. If I have to go up to around $500 then that would be a last resort. When I get steady clients I will go with a more pro setup.

Here are links to some light kits I think might work. Any suggestion or thoughts are welcomed. I am still learning.

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: light kit for shooting green screen suggestions links here
on Jun 1, 2007 at 8:49:33 pm

Ummm... in the link for the first auction, those are strobes, NOT continuous lighting instruments. The second ones are continuous. They look kinda cheap, but for temporary use on a budget might be ok.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rick Amundson
Re: light kit for shooting green screen suggestions links here
on Jun 4, 2007 at 1:45:17 pm

Becareful not to fall into the trap that a light kit will magically make the greenscreen better. Lighting for a good chroma key takes practice but there is a formula to it. The greenscreen should be exposed at about 65 IRE. What does this mean to you? How do you get 65 IRE without a waveform monitor? Take 2 lights with some kind of diffusion on them (opal or 250 works great for this) and place them on either side of the greenscreen far enough back so you get a nice even spread across the screen. Open up your iris so you start to get 70% zebras in your viewfinder then stop down until the zebras just disappear. As you are looking at your zebras, they should appear across the screen at roughly the same time. This will show you how even your lighting is. Once you have that set, light your foreground person accordingly. Do your best to flag the foreground light off of the greenscreen.

Be sure your camera is white balanced to your lighting set up. If you had bad colors last time, this could be the problem. Also, make sure the gain is turned off. This can make the picture appear grainy.

Rick Amundson
Producer/Director/DP
Screenscape Studios
Bravo Romeo Entertainment
http://www.screenscapestudios.com
http://www.bravoromeo.com
http://www.indeliblemovie.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]