FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple Cameras Question

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sheldonhull
Multiple Cameras Question
on May 24, 2007 at 2:59:25 pm

Searching on the web, i couldn't find a good article about SMPTE and multicamera shoots. Say I am doing a wedding, how do I end up lining up 2 prosumer camears without Genlock and making sure they are aligned when recording at the same time. Some help in the right direction would be appreciated. I would hopefully being use a Firestore unit with SMPTE ability.

Thanks!

Sheldon Hull

Return to posts index

Rick Amundson
Re: Multiple Cameras Question
on May 24, 2007 at 5:16:25 pm

I recommend doing it the old fashioned way, use a slate. I use one all the time with a multicam show I do using the DVX100. The editor loves it. It may seem tacky at a wedding, but maybe you can roll the cameras a minute or so before the festivities begin. You can also do a tail slate at the end if need be. Before you stop rolling the cameras, throw a slate up and clap it.

Rick Amundson
Producer/Director/DP
Screenscape Studios
Bravo Romeo Entertainment
http://www.screenscapestudios.com
http://www.bravoromeo.com
http://www.indeliblemovie.com

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
sheldonhull
on May 24, 2007 at 5:46:37 pm

Is that preference or really more efficient than SMTPE?

Lastly is it really really worth it with Genlock then? Does it make the other camera start when you start yours, or how does it exactly help?

I want to personally avoid the slate if possible, since 2 cameras could potentially be at different parts of a room, different subjects, yet I want them aligned in the timeline for editing purposes.

Sheldon Hull

Return to posts index

Rick Amundson
on May 24, 2007 at 6:17:47 pm

Which cameras are you using? If you have the ability to jam-sync the timecode (i.e DVX 100B) then set one camera to time of day (TOD) use the firewire cable to connect the cameras, and follow the cameras manual for setting the time timecode. The cameras will remain synced for a few hours provided you don't shut the cameras off. If you shut down or check playback you will want to re-sync. I don't know how to sync two Firestores together or if you can. Usually the Firestore takes its timecode from the camera through the firewire cable.

The reason we like the slate is that we are able to shoot in rec-run instead of free-run and it makes digitizing easier in post (we don't use the Firestore, just tapes). And you don't have to use a slate per se, you can have some one clap, flash a light, etc. If the cameras are in the same room shooting a wedding from 2 angles, I asume you will be able to both shoot something near the alter or even near the back of the room.

Remember, with today's multicam editing in FCP, Avid or Premiere, you don't need matching time code, just a sync point to line up on the timeline.

Rick Amundson
Producer/Director/DP
Screenscape Studios
Bravo Romeo Entertainment
http://www.screenscapestudios.com
http://www.bravoromeo.com
http://www.indeliblemovie.com

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on May 25, 2007 at 5:48:30 am

Start all of the cameras rolling and have the photographer walk up front where all of the cameras can see him and have him take a photo of the audience before the families are seated. In post, lay all of the tracks onto the same timeline or sequence and line up the flash. It will be one frame from each camera.

If you need more help on this, let me know.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

sheldonhull
on May 25, 2007 at 11:59:25 am

I am passionate about learning these types of things, but due to never having been on a set or anything, i have a huge amt to learn.

Is the the normal way for editors to line up.... is that why they use the take 1, take 2 etc with the gadget that I don't know what its called, a many times shows seconds and countdown numbers, is this for the editors to align?

Sheldon Hull

Return to posts index

zrb123
on May 26, 2007 at 12:00:11 am

[sheldonhull] "Is the the normal way for editors to line up.... is that why they use the take 1, take 2 etc with the gadget that I don't know what its called, a many times shows seconds and countdown numbers, is this for the editors to align?"

A clap board has several uses. The part that claps together can be used to help sync up several cameras in post but they are usually used to help sync up audio in post. Film cameras do not record audio that is recorded separate, also many people who shoot on tape will also record to a separate device to get better quality audio.

The writing on a clap board like Scene 8 Take 3, is used to more quickly locate the best takes from a shoot. Simple noted during filming can save a lot of time in editing.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on May 27, 2007 at 8:06:07 am

the idea is to find a common starting point for all camera to align to the same spot.

I'll explain the editing part a little further.

Digitize the tapes from all cameras. Figure out which one is the main camera or the one with the best audio. When shooting a wedding, the bride's audio is what it's all about.

Pull the footage from the main camera and put this on track 1 of your timeline. Put the sound on tracks 1 & 2. Find the flash. Cut the video and audio right there. Delete the footage before the flash, keeping the flash. Now, take the camera footage from cam 2 and put that on video track 2 and the sound on 3 & 4. Find the flash, cut the video andd audio for that camera, again keeping the flash but losing everything before it. Proceed with the other camera tapes.

All of the cameras should now be in sync and you can start selecting which shots you want.
Now, if you have a multicam function, you can play the tracks and select the shots as the timeline plays.

If you had cameras with the ability to connect the time code together, you could align the shots by time code. Your cameras do not have this function.

If you were using a clapboard, you would aim all cameras at it and clap the board. You could then align by either seeing the clapper hit or by using an audio waveform or your ear. of course.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on May 25, 2007 at 3:10:34 pm

Sheldon,

If you do not have a lot of "in the field" production experience you would be best served by hiring an experienced freelancer who can successfully deal with the technical requirements while at the job.

In the long run hiring a qualified experienced freelancer will save you major headaches later in post production if things are not done right.

FYI the concept you are referring to is called jam syncing timecode. The workarounds suggested are valid and workable solutions in the event your cameras do not allow for jam syncing timecode from an external source such as another camera.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]