FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need a cheap tiny B-unit cam....

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
Need a cheap tiny B-unit cam....
on Mar 13, 2007 at 2:47:03 pm

Hey guys and gals...

I'm wondering if any here have used the tiny little Canon HV10 and found it good enough for very limited professional use?

Here's the deal...

We are shooting a no-budget (well, maybe not no-budget, but definitely low-budget) feature later this year. A portion (some special shots, slo-mo) will but shot on 35mm, but principal photography will be on HDV. We presently use a Canon XLH1 body married with a P+S Technik converter and Leitz/Panavision superspeed primes. The picture is fantastic and still looks great even on a 60-foot screen (as checked at a local cinema with their Christie digital projectors). The goal for the end result of the project is mastering to HDcam with a 35mm film print strike at Digital Film Group.

That XLH1 rig will be the "A" cam, but I'm thinking I might benefit from something tiny for a little B-unit work. Specifically we have one "swimming" scene that takes place on a lake, with several "at the waterline" shots and a couple of legitimately underwater shots.

Based on the Canon HV10, does anyone think the HV20 would be suitable for that? You can buy an "underwater kit" that includes an HV10 plus an Ikelite housing for pracitally peanuts, and I'm sure a similar kit will be available when the HV20 is released (which will allow 24F). By the time I rented a Gates housing for my XLH1 (which still couldn't use my lens converter anyway) I could PAY for the HV20.

Any thoughts?
Todd

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]