FORUMS: list search recent posts

How much should I charge for this?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BackwoodsTerrorMovie
How much should I charge for this?
on Feb 19, 2007 at 6:04:51 pm

I'm going to start filming MMA fighters (mma- mixed martial arts, ufc/pride style fighting) at fight events in my area. The fights only last 10 minutes at the maximum, there are two 5 minute rounds. The filming would consist of the fighter making his enterance into the ring, the whole fight, and afterwards getting his hand raised at the end by the ref (if they win) So it's not much footage at all. I'm not sure on how much I should charge to film a fight. Anyone have an opinion?

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci
Re: How much should I charge for this?
on Feb 19, 2007 at 6:38:45 pm

Backwoods,

I am sure more people will follow up with more useful advice but I wanted to bring up an important point. Do not consider how much you should charge according to how long the fights/matches are. You are not there just for the 5 minutes of the fight; you have to count in the fact that you leave your office, drive to the location, do some scouting, talk to your clients about the best possible shots, wait for the matches, film the fight, wrap up and drive back. You will effectively tie up your entire day so you should charge accordingly.

I was recently asked to film a 10 minute concert with a steadicam. When I asked for $1800 for the event the client was amazed and said "but you're only going to be filming for 10 minutes, that's $180 a minute!!!"

I had to explain to the client that what he wanted was for me to leave at 5am be at location at 6am(1 hour) , talk with the director and coordinate the shoot (1 hour), set up my gear (1 hour) wait for the event (3 hours), film (10 minutes), wrap up and drive back (2 hours). That was an 8 hour day for me and my spotter. And most importantly what people for get the most often is the fact that it was 8 hour+my gear+my experience of 13 years.

To give you a better answer to what you should actually charge for the event, it might help if you list your equipment,number of people in the crew, total duration of the day,delivery format and maybe your year of experience (optional).

Emre
http://www.productionpit.com
Boxx Tech PC, dual-dual AMD 2.0,4BG ram,Avidexpress HD w/Mojo, Adobe production studio.
"Never judge a book, from it's movie."

Return to posts index

BackwoodsTerrorMovie
on Feb 19, 2007 at 8:09:11 pm

Thanks, that was good advice indeed. I'm filming on a JVC HD100 Pro, with a Sennheiser ME66 mic. I'm the only one who is gonna film it though. I'd probably get there about a half hour before the doors open to set up at meet with whichever fighter. Then I'd stay the whole night as long as I'm in there without having to buy a ticket, cause I'm a big MMA fan myself and train as well, so a plus is that its a free event to go see. As for experience, I dont have all that much. I film often for bands, and do a lot of small horror clips, testing special effects and camera operation, but other than that, I'm kind of new to running a video service. I'm only 18, but I'm starting to expand it so I can make it my full source of income.

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci
on Feb 19, 2007 at 8:39:21 pm

Sounds Like you've got a good starting investment there,

Try to calculate what your hourly worth is; If you spent $8000 on your equipment (which you will be providing for the event) find out how much it's renting in your area. A JVC package in my area Washington DC rents for $250 a day and you have to get insurance for it. Then calculate your worth an hour, let's say $30-40 a hour(My plumber charges me $80 an hour).

IMPORTANT: Don't think of it as an free entry into an event, you are there to do a job. Getting to film something you enjoy is just a perk. I am sure all of us would do what we are doing for free, but that doesn't pay the bills.

If you really want to do it and do not want to charge them much use this approach: Let them know in writing what you would normally charge (let's say $400 for an event like this) and you are willing to give them an discount of %30-35 for this time only as they are new customers. If you flat out low ball it you never be able to charge them your worth, when you are filming something you don't enjoy that much.

I would recommend reading the business and marketing section of the cow.Great info there.

Cheers,

Emre
http://www.productionpit.com
Boxx Tech PC, dual-dual AMD 2.0,4BG ram,Avidexpress HD w/Mojo, Adobe production studio.
"Never judge a book, from it's movie."

Return to posts index

rmherd
on Feb 20, 2007 at 12:53:57 am

Sorry to be pedantic, but when you said "film," I thought you meant Kodak 5218, not video. The medium you shoot on will be a heavy consideration for your fee. There are several ways to get paid for this. Invoice NET 30. Invoice NET 10. Due upon Receipt. There are couple of ways to bid the job also. Fixed Cost plus Fee. Firm Bid. Check out aicp.com for much more information, including some contracts. You can charge hourly, daily, weekly, by the job, by equipment. You'll also want to clarify exactly what deliverable they expect. At the very least, write this stuff down and have them sign it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]