FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need feed back on new light

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blub06
Need feed back on new light
on Feb 15, 2007 at 5:29:46 am

Has anyone used one of the new circular knoflow like florescent lights yet?

In the mid 1970s I used a circular flash light (I think called a proctor) light for still photography and it was fantastic.

Is the light quality clean and even? How bright is it? In day light is the light too dark for a subject 6 feet away but alright at 4 feet?When you move the camera does the fall off of the light make things seem odd or obviously problematic?

Thanks

Chris

Return to posts index

Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
Re: Need feed back on new light
on Mar 3, 2007 at 7:39:48 am

Well, I've never used one of the "professional" units... but as they are pretty darn expensive we built our own homemade version and it works like a charm....

It was made out of 12" aluminum cake pan, and various flourescent electronic parts so that it is both flicker-free and dimmable down to about 50%. We buy plain ol' cheap circular tubes from Home Depot which are readily available in various color temperatures.

I haven't used it for any exteriors, but I suspect it wouldn't be bright enough to do much good. It works great for interiors though, especially at about 5-6 feet or closer. Sometimes I will light a scene so it looks as good as possible, then add the ring just as a "beauty light" to give talent a bit of a punch and give a nice eye sparkle.

The only downside to it I have found is that I cannot use it with any talent that wears eyeglasses... the circular reflections look very weird indeed. You can also get the circular reflections in plain naked eyeballs in extreme EXTREME closeups, but it is usually not much of a problem.

Todd

Return to posts index

Blub06
Re: Need feed back on new light
on Mar 7, 2007 at 7:41:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback, it looks slick!

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]