FORUMS: list search recent posts

time lapse

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alan smithee
time lapse
on Jan 25, 2007 at 12:22:33 pm

i am going to shoot a locked off time lapse sequence over 24 hours. i am going clamp the camera high up in the corner of a room and want to leave it there without going near it for 24 hours. i could use a pd150/170 to shoot it on tape (and change tapes), but i'd rather shoot on a stills camera and get better resolution. i cannot use a bigger camera, or a tapeless video camera, for budgetary, and space reasons.

does anyone know of a digital stills camera that can be programmed to shoot a still at, for example, every 30 secs and have sufficient storage space to hold the jpegs and sufficient battery life?

seems like a very logical thing to do but i cannot find a camera that can do it. any ideas?

thanks

Return to posts index

alan smithee
Re: time lapse
on Jan 25, 2007 at 6:13:42 pm

have discovered that the hasselblad will do what i want but each still is 40mb (this cannot be modified beforehand) and the battery life will only last for 400 shots.

am after something like a nikon or a canon. any ideas?

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Jan 25, 2007 at 8:39:09 pm

Take a look at this page and set the "Time Lapse" option to yes. Seems a lot of the Canons have this feature, and several of the EOS models will allow you to send the image via usb to a computer to record the images.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

Return to posts index

Digistream
on Feb 8, 2007 at 11:39:48 am

Hey Alan
I have an old EOS 10D, and I shoot good timelapse with this unit. The trick is an add on that Canon sells for most of the EOS's, tho not the cheaper plastic ones like the Rebel.

The accessory is the "Timer remote controller", part no: TC-80N3. With this you can do all sorts of things, and in a nutshell for your purposes, you could set it to take a frame every 5 seconds over a specified length of time or frames. It can do a frame a second if required. I also use it for time exposure lapses like stars and such.

The only disadvantage is that you have to lock the iris, it doesn't look good with auto, as the stops are incremental, not sliding as on a Varicam for example.

If you want more info, drop me a mail, graeme@digistream.co.za.

Return to posts index

Rob Ikenberry
on Feb 20, 2007 at 4:17:16 pm

A good, inexpensive choice for time lapse with a still camera is the Pentax W10 (now superseded by the W20, I believe). It can shoot stills at up to 6 or 7MB per frame (3MB is plenty for HD) and can be set for intervals between about 10 sec and 99 minutes. Since the camera "sleeps" between each shot, I have had good success with 500 or so shots per battery charge/2 GB SD card. 3 minutes between frames will give about 500 shots in 24 hours and runs 20sec at 24fps (17 sec @ 30fps). Waterproof too. If you need to go more than 500 frames from one location, make sure that your tripod/support will allow access to the battery/SD card door on the bottom of the camera without moving the camera.

Rob Ikenberry

Return to posts index

Matias Nieto
on Mar 5, 2007 at 10:50:54 pm

I make timelapse for digital efects and advertising. I use a Nikon D2x, you can use also a D200Both have the choice at the menu. One battery will be enough, but with the D200 you could use the battery pack (it uses 2 bateries), so you could change one battery and the second. the camera will continue working.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]