FORUMS: list search recent posts

Horses

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Vander Plas
Horses
on Jan 7, 2007 at 8:12:45 pm

Does anyone have experience filming horses? I'm a student working on a music video which involves a horse as a main "character" and I am shooting 16mm film. Shooting some test footage the other day we noticed that the horse gets spooked just from the whir of the camera. If anyone has any suggestions for this situation that would be great! (And no, shooting video is not an option)

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
Re: Horses
on Jan 8, 2007 at 2:17:12 am

Nate, Use a longer lens. If you need a closer proximity then try to wrap camera in a barney, or blanket. I suspect the horse may think the sound is a snake. Also, get a good horse wrangler.

lol

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
Cinematography Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Nate Vander Plas
on Jan 8, 2007 at 3:29:00 am

Thanks for the input. We are actually planning on using a telephoto lens for at least some of our work. The barney is a good idea, but we don't really have one, so we might have to use a coat or something. More suggestions are welcome!

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
on Jan 9, 2007 at 5:47:56 am

Get a "movie horse". There are a number of stables that have horses that are trained for working with film crews.

Return to posts index

Nate Vander Plas
on Jan 9, 2007 at 6:03:23 am

Yeah, that would be great if we had a budget for that kind of thing! Unfortunately since we are poor students doing this for free (actually, we're paying to make this film) that isn't really an option. I'd also be surprised if there was such a stable in Michigan, which is where we are. That is good to know though if I ever need a horse when I'm working with a bigger budget.
Question: do you (and by "you" I mean "anybody") think a generator would completely freak a horse out? We want to use a cherry-picker (a crane-like thing they use for fixing telephone wires and the like) to get some cool sweeping crane shots and it requires a generator to be running. It is fairly loud, but a pretty constant sound that I thought maybe the horse would get used to over a short period of time. We don't plan on using it very close to the horse, but still, it could be a problem I think.

Return to posts index

George Socka
on Jan 9, 2007 at 11:17:33 pm

from my farm days I remember that most horses were quite happy with tractors - hide your generator under / behind a tractor.

Return to posts index

Nate Vander Plas
on Jan 10, 2007 at 7:36:37 am

Good point! It does sound quite a bit like a tractor! Thanks everyone for the input. When the project is complete I will hopefully remember to post a link to it on here somewhere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]