FORUMS: list search recent posts

outdoor indoor mix

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bcooney
outdoor indoor mix
on Dec 23, 2006 at 9:42:07 pm

Hi, I'm accustomed to shooting in controlled environments...small studio TV sets. Lately the projects I'm doing are incorporating a lot of outdoor light source mix to the lighting. I'd like to get some reccomendations for dealing with these issues where the environment and location is changing from day to day. Besides purchasing CTB gels... I'd like recomendations on lenses that might help and complement the situation. And also any light kits upgrade suggestions. I'm using a Lowell VIP kit with 2- 750w halogens. But I'm wondering if i should be using more waatage in these areas where i can't treat the windows at all or draw blinds... thanks...

Return to posts index

SydneyS
Re: outdoor indoor mix
on Dec 24, 2006 at 2:25:13 am

Just white balance... Constantly white balance. And, underexpose by 1/2 to 1 stop or so on high contrast scenes, so you're able to adjust the color in post. Will your 750 watt lights work in the outdoors? Let me put it this way. I just shot a scene in a coffee shop that had a window looking out onto the street... We put neutral density on the window, and a 4K HMI with a softbox right in her face... Still had to blow out the window a bit.

Return to posts index

bcooney
on Dec 24, 2006 at 2:16:16 pm

thanks. so i definately need more light in some of these situations. I was thinking of treating the windows with orange gels to create a different temp....but i need the windows in the shot, plus treating them in my case is impractical....got to be in and out. So, they have to look norm. So, I need a 4K lamp to overpower what's coming through the windows, underexpose a bit and color correct in post?

Return to posts index

SydneyS
on Dec 26, 2006 at 4:28:07 am

First, I wouldn't recommend using anything but a neutral density sheet on the window... They do not change the color temp of the outdoors. An orange tint may make things look a bit odd on the outside... Secondly, a 4K HMI is much more powerful than typical lights in your lighting kit... They say the basic rule of thumb is that an HMI has 4 times the output of a typical tungsten & co. light. In my opinion, the higher the wattage, the less the multiplying factor is... At 4K, I'm thinking it's in the range of 10-12K or so... But, I'm not an engineer, just an end user. If you can't afford to rent an HMI or two, be prepared to use alot of wattage... Don't be afraid to blow out the windows a little, it's not uncommon to see that even in some feature films... One particular film comes to mind, I remember seeing a LOT of blown out highlights in Clerks 2...

Return to posts index

bcooney
on Dec 26, 2006 at 2:05:40 pm

thanks sydney

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]