FORUMS: list search recent posts

Miller DS-25 fluid head & Sprinter single stage alum. sticks - comments please

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Woodhead
Miller DS-25 fluid head & Sprinter single stage alum. sticks - comments please
on Dec 10, 2006 at 12:21:57 pm

Anyone using / have used this system? Considering purchasing a lightly used set. Plan on using everything from DV to BetaSP with LCD prompter (that combo weighs in at 32 lbs.), the head is rated for 25 lbs. So beyond "fit & feel" of the system, I'm wondering how it'll do at 22% over rated capacity. Not looking to make radical moves while prompter's on, pretty much straight & level, so I'm not too concerned. Current sticks are *way* overtaxed when I use prompter. On the other hand, I'd rather not get a 40 lb rated head, when much more often there'll be an 8 lb camera on top.

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
Re: Miller DS-25 fluid head & Sprinter single stage alum. sticks - comments please
on Dec 12, 2006 at 5:02:56 pm

I'm not familiar with the Miller DS-25, but a few years ago at NAB I stopped in at the Miller booth, and their product line seemed nice.

I tend to look at heads and sticks as two separate items, with emphasis placed on the tripod heads.
Generally, whatever tripod combo you buy is going to far outlive whatever camera you are currently shooting with, so I would bite the bullet and buy the best head you can afford.

You do get what you pay for. Here's a good test: Put your camera on top of the tripod you're considering and pan and tilt at the same time - like you are following a race car thru an S-curve with the focal length of the lens fully extended. This will pretty much separate a good head from a wannabee.

As far as exceeding the manufacturer's weight recommendations - you should contact them directly for advice.

I have a very beefy set of Gitzo legs that I use under my jib - I know from personal experience that carbon fibre Sachtler legs aren't up to that job. So let common sense dictate the direction you go.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
Re: Miller DS-25 fluid head & Sprinter single stage alum. sticks - comments please
on Dec 14, 2006 at 12:36:31 am

In case anyone brings this thread up in a search, just used it, and it WAS AWESOME! Loved it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]