FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keep my DSR-570 or HVX200. Your Thoughts!

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JimTuch
Keep my DSR-570 or HVX200. Your Thoughts!
on Nov 13, 2006 at 3:20:50 am

I do mostly documentary work. We just finished a documentary that we shot with a DSR-570WSL and it looked very good when projected at film festivals. But, I have been thinking about selling the camera and switching to the HVX200. I would trade, I know, 2/3 inch chips and really good glass for higher resolution and frame rate options. Any advice about this would be most appreciated.

Jim

Return to posts index

SydneyS
Re: Keep my DSR-570 or HVX200. Your Thoughts!
on Nov 13, 2006 at 11:30:30 pm

Well, when shooting documentaries, the lens control is important... I think if an entire show were shot reality style, you might have a problem with any prosumer camera, mainly because of lens control. For me, it's like trying to shoot with mittens on, and then trying to focus.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Nov 15, 2006 at 7:05:35 am

The HVX200 is a very nice camera but if you're used to the DVCAM King, a DSR-570, you will have times of complete frustration when you try to work with inferior glass. just try to hold the camera with your right hand and do everything else with your left hand. It's no picnic. Get one to use for a week and test it yourself. We use a DVX100A for our light weight stuff and I have focus issues. The color EVF and screen kick but for making sure the color's right but you can't focus with them.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Nov 15, 2006 at 2:02:41 pm

I agree with Steve.

Keep in mind that, as HD cams go, the HVX200 is the lowest res of the bunch. That said, I have been on several shoots with the camera and it does create aesthetically pleasant images without a doubt.

For documentary work, I suspect the camera would do a nice job as long as you really, really knew it. These small cameras do have a tendency to be a little difficult to operate in less than ideal conditions with small buttons and deep menus.

P2 storage would be excellent in durability for doc work, but the workflow of flushing cards and how you plan to handle that would be something to consider. Documentaries tend to generate great amounts of footage and I think many people who have jumped on the HVX bandwagon may have initially underestimated how useful a storage medium tape is...

TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

JimTuch
on Nov 16, 2006 at 6:42:05 am

Thanks, these comments are helpful. I have used the Canon Xl-1s and hate the servo lens control. So, I understand the issues raised about focus. The P2 issue also is a concern and I am not sure how the exchange of P2 cards might be disruptive in the field. I was thinking that a Firestore or similar solution would be better, but I understand that you can not record 24P to the FS-100 at this time. The suggestion to rent one is a very good idea. Great suggestion!

Jim

Return to posts index

nancy sada
on Nov 17, 2006 at 1:57:46 pm

Also keep in mind that your light sensitivity will take a big hit if you use the HVX200----that might effect your decision depending upon the type of documentaries you shoot.

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Nov 20, 2006 at 1:54:53 am

If dvcam is ok for you and you need 24P then consider the dsr -450 camcorder which is the replacement for the 570.

It can do 16x9 or 4x3, 24P as well as 60i.

It will only record dvcam.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]