FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unwanted Halo Around DigiBeta Images

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alphachannel
Unwanted Halo Around DigiBeta Images
on Nov 10, 2006 at 3:27:13 pm

We're shooting subjects against a green screen for keying, and I've noticed a hard edge around the subjects when the tape is viewed in post. Is this a short-coming of NTSC or is there an obvious solution that we're missing. Let me know if I need to give more details. Thanks!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Unwanted Halo Around DigiBeta Images
on Nov 10, 2006 at 3:29:54 pm

Sounds like detail setting was too agressive. For green screen foreground shooting detail should be backed off a bit to prevent exactly what you're talking about.

JS

Return to posts index

alphachannel
on Nov 10, 2006 at 5:06:54 pm

Thanks for the quick reply John.
Forgive me though; I'm an editor/grfx guy...
When you say the detail is too aggressive, is this a DBeta camera setting? Or better yet is there a website that explains this to a camera novice like me?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Nov 10, 2006 at 5:28:03 pm

Detail is one of many settings made and adjusted on all cameras (gains, peds, gamma, flare, etc). When the master detail is set too high (as it sounds like it was in your case) a black line can be seen on the edges of objects, especially against the unifprm green. Other adjustments to detail including frequence, balance, coring etc. can be optimized for particual shooting situations, but no amount of book reading will arm you with this information; it really must come from experiance and careful observation. In lieu of this a qualified video controller or DIT should be employed, or the camera should be setup at the rental house for the intended use (assuming the engineers there are more than QC trained!).

JS

Return to posts index

alphachannel
on Nov 10, 2006 at 5:40:55 pm

Thanks a million John; we've been scratching our heads over this for months. I'll let you know how it all works out!

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Nov 10, 2006 at 9:21:21 pm

detail enhancement is similar to unsharp mask in Photoshop.

You can add or subtrack sharpening to the image.

Best to have less when shooting and add what you need in post.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]