FORUMS: list search recent posts

recreating a rap video look

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Baldwin
recreating a rap video look
on Nov 1, 2006 at 11:08:49 pm

Ok One More Post.

But I thought this would be fun for people to think about with me...perhaps. :)

So I'm going to try to replicate(closely but not exactly) the Mo Money, Mo Problems music video by Puff Daddy and Mace. See youtube link below...

At 35 seconds into the video they are rapping away in a black set with a bank of florescents. The camera obviously has a fish eye or very wide angle lens.

I'd like to see if I can get some suggestions for how to accomplish this shoot.

One idea is to just green screen them and use a extremely wide or fish eye lens. But if I didn't want to green screen does anyone else have any idea what the set and lighting plot must have looked like for this scene and effect? How about what type of lens?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
Re: recreating a rap video look
on Nov 2, 2006 at 3:04:45 pm

Hi Chris:

Man, I gotta say, the Hype Williams shiny floor fisheye music video is so played out, this stuff was old in the late 90s. This style has already come and gone numerous times. But I guess if you really must...but why not do something original in your own style? (unless you are doing a parody of lame music videos?)

I suspect that this could have bee done practically, not as green screen but I could be wrong. I have read articles in American Cinematographer and Film and Video and some of his usual DPs like Malik Sayeed describe how they do these sorts of shoots. It's a lot of Mylar, high key lighting, ringlights.

Here are some interesting discussions about Hype and his music video style http://videos.antville.org/stories/1466663/

Good luck, do something original please

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Chris Baldwin
Re: recreating a rap video look
on Nov 2, 2006 at 7:11:14 pm

Thanks for the resoureces.

I am indeed being asked to recreate the video style for a parody.

I haven't found the discussions yet online but I'm still looking.

Thanks,

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]