FORUMS: list search recent posts

mini helicopter video camera

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Baldwin
mini helicopter video camera
on Nov 1, 2006 at 10:58:53 pm

Anyone remember the name of the company that had a little helicopter with a camera inside the nose?

There's a company called ChopperCam.net which is exactly what I'm looking for but this one company's chopper had a white housing around it...

I'm also looking for hiring an owner operator for a day in Northern California who has this equipment.

Any leads?

Thanks

Chris

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
Re: mini helicopter video camera
on Nov 2, 2006 at 2:51:12 pm

http://www.coptervision.com/

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Chris Baldwin
on Nov 2, 2006 at 7:23:48 pm

Thanks Dan, that's the one.

Expensive isn't it! $6000 a day not including travel...

pretty great tool though.

Return to posts index

dan brockett
on Nov 3, 2006 at 3:01:41 am

Hi:

I have hired them a few times for projects, both film and video. They are not cheap, with all of the extras and options you will end up closer to $10,000.00 per day but they can fly in areas that real copters cant, even indoors.

If you need the kinds of shots they can get you, you need them and it costs what it costs. If you think they are expensive, you should hire real camera copters and Lear Jets. Then you are talking real money. ;-) I have done that too and it gets really expensive really quickly, especially with fuel costs being what they are.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Nov 6, 2006 at 1:43:32 pm

I have been on shoot where coptervision was hired and let me tell you that flying any helicopter in a small location takes expertise and attention to safety for all involved. Fast, good and inexpensive are three factors that do not enter into formula unless you want quick, bad, and expensive accidents or lawsuits to occur as a result of not hiring a qualified company to operate the equipment.

Safety is paramount on set when flying the helicopter so don't try to pressure or convince the operator to cut corners.

The images themselves are awesome and the tight spaces the small helicopter can operate in is quite impressive.

My shoot was inside a baseball park stadium where it would have been impossible to fly a full sized helicopter.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 6, 2006 at 3:00:03 pm

[tony salgado] "My shoot was inside a baseball park stadium where it would have been impossible to fly a full sized helicopter."

I was curious about the safety/liability issues. Was this an occupied ballpark? With a helicopter, if something fails, it just falls to earth.

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Nov 8, 2006 at 6:31:19 am

Ball park was not occupied. Production company paid for the location exclusively for copervision to fly around diamond.

Extreme care and caution was taken during the flights.

No one was except main talent who was stationary was allowed to in immediate area where helicopter was flying.

Crew of three handled helicopter flight operation.

FYI the helicopter landed every single time between takes to avoid it being in the air for extended periods of time.

Then each time it took off again a very detailed safe flight plan and check were done.

The "pilot" had full control and authority to shut down and land anytime he felt it was unsafe.
In fact once the helicopter is ready to take off you cannot speak or distract the "pilot" at anytime the copter is flying.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

George Socka
on Nov 3, 2006 at 12:50:52 am

Ok these guys are in Canada, but maybe worth investigating - heliviz dot com. Saw them at a trade show promoting golf course video

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 5, 2006 at 7:32:34 pm

Depends on how "mini" you're thinking. This probably ISN'T what you're thinking, but I saw a very tiny, rather inexpensive little helicopter/miniDV camera at NAB. I think the vendor was called Digitronics, Inc. of El Monte, CA. I'm not sure how it would do in any kind of breeze.

Return to posts index

Heliviz.com
on Dec 11, 2006 at 10:40:12 pm

Hey Guys,

My name is Brian Whiten and I am the President of Heliviz.com. I have been reading your thread and I thought I could throw my name out there. These choppers that we use can lift approximately 30 LBS in the air and the blades are 800 mm minimum.

As well, if you want quality it does cost money to keep everything safe during a shoot. Our primary focus has been golf courses and even then we have to take extreme caution due to the elements of wind, humidity, obstructions, grounds crews, and of course golfers etc.

If you have any aerial videography questions or would be interested in obtaining aerial footage please don't hesitate to contact me directly at http://www.heliviz.com/contact.html .

Kindest Regards,

Brian Whiten
President,
http://www.heliviz.com

"Experience a New Perspective....Where the Sky is the Limit!"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]