FORUMS: list search recent posts

shooting surfing in the Ocean, need some advise

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Media Productions Canada
shooting surfing in the Ocean, need some advise
on Oct 30, 2006 at 4:28:55 pm

Just wondering if any body has done any shooting of surfing, wind surfing, kiteboarding with a water housing in big waves.
Going to do this for my first time and I'm looking on some advise on how to do this safley.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: shooting surfing in the Ocean, need some advise
on Oct 31, 2006 at 8:03:05 pm

[Media Productions Canada] "Going to do this for my first time and I'm looking on some advise on how to do this safley."

Don't know where I saw it, but there was a doc on people who do this for a living, most of whom seem to live in Hawaii. For spectacular shots, you need to get up close and personal in the midst of some very extreme conditions. It is a specialty, and if you want stunning results without drowning, you may want to contract it out.

- Bob C

Return to posts index

SydneyS
on Nov 1, 2006 at 4:14:34 am

Back in "The Day", I used to do this all of the time. I lived in Kaneohe, Hi. I did both still and video, but rule #1 if you're going to be out there in big wave conditions, is learn how to surf... A big wave should scare the shit out of you. If it doesn't, expect to bleed a lot... And, learn how to stay out of people's way. You're going to have to learn how and when to duck under the wave so you don't get crushed... I can tell you, depending on conditions, it can be pretty dangerous out there... Safety is far and away your first priority. There's exposed rocks/coral, because that's what makes a good pipe... So, that's where people surf. a lot of wave energy.
As far as a housing is concerned, you can't use the typical underwater housing folks use to dive with... Ever tried to lift 35 pounds out of the water when you've got nothing to stand on? So, you're stuck with what looks like the cheap, crappy versions of housings like what Ewa Marine makes, but these are the only kind you'll be able to use, when you're treading water, unless you want to spend serious cash.
When you're shooting video in the water for the first time, it'll be all you can do just to keep the camera pointed at your subject. I recommend doing it two ways... First, assuming you're using a pro-sumer sized camera, keep everything on auto until you get the hang of things... But, auto can bite you in the ass in a water environment... One problem unique to an aquatic environment is, when the camera bobs in and out of the water, you end up with water droplets on your lens... Sometimes, you'll get condensation on the inside, as well... Youe auto focus will tend to focus on that, and you'll have so much going on around you, you won't notice it. You come back with a bunch of shots of water droplets!!! Just super... Done it more than once. There are ways to reduce condensation and the droplets on the lens, but I'll have to save that for later... After you shoot in auto mode, get as much as you can in full manual. This should guarantee at least some of your shots will be problem-free... Oh yeah, if you can, try and get an external mic made for shooting in the water. The mic inside the housing will sound really strange. You can shoot some stuff from shore with a long lens, but atmospheric conditions at the surface of big waves don't always make for really clear video.

Return to posts index

Jak Maher
on Dec 16, 2009 at 12:40:35 am

Hey SydneyS,

Ive been doing a lot of Underwater video stuff and have had a major problem with water droplets on the housing lens. If you have any tips or techniques it would be greatly appreciated. Ive got the Sony Underwater Sports Pack.

Cheers

J

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]