FORUMS: list search recent posts

Somewhat off topic, want to know best advice for becoming a colorist

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd George
Somewhat off topic, want to know best advice for becoming a colorist
on Oct 13, 2006 at 1:56:57 pm

Hello Everyone

I have a background in corporate video production and post production and a little broadcast news

I would like to change careers I like post production but would like to get into color correction for films, commercials, music videos etc

I am not sure how best to break into this field I assume I will have to learn high end correction systems like Davinci and Lusture (sorry if I mispelled that)

I know a bit about color correction with Final Cut and Combustion but that's probably just scratching the surface

any advice from those out there that might point me in the right direction would be very helpful

take care

Todd George
Instructional Media Services
John Carroll University
University Heights, OH 44118

Return to posts index

Leo Ticheli
Re: Somewhat off topic, want to know best advice for becoming a colorist
on Oct 13, 2006 at 2:27:27 pm

At the risk of over-simlifying, you have to find someone willing to hire and train you.

Now, here are some of the skills/attributes I believe are necessary to be a good colorist:

1. The ability to listen and understand what the cinematographer wants; obviously, there is no one right look and you've got to deliver what the director and cinematographer need to tell the story. Of course you have the opportunity to take things further than they've imagined, if you're good enough.

2. A great eye for color as a design element and an understanding of the psychological aspects of color.

3. An uncompromising demand for technical excellence; you can never deliver a job that is out of specification.

4. Remarkable people skills; you will be working long hours in an environment that is sometimes highly emotionally charged. Projects take on a life of their own, they are much more than a piece of film or digital content; they are someone's baby. Furthermore, you'll probably hear a lot of life stories in the telecine room so you've got to part priest or bartender. Sometimes you even have to be a mediator when there are differences of opinion among the clients.

5. A broad general knowledge of both fine art and cinema; you will often be asked to deliver a look that is derivative of a painting or film.

That's all I can think of for now. Some of my fondest associations in this business have been with colorists, and camera assistants too; I no longer shoot film, so I rarely have a dedicated AC, and we do our color grading in-house, so no more hours in the telecine for me.

Best of luck in your quest.

Leo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]