FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hollywood look: a matter of camera or postproduction?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
evrard
Hollywood look: a matter of camera or postproduction?
on Oct 5, 2006 at 4:41:18 pm

Is reaching Hollywood look more a matter of camera quality or software?

Is it possible to achieve it with average camera + tools like AE and premiere pro or does it absolutly requiere higher end equipement like the +30,000$ cameras and sophisticated production sets?

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Hollywood look: a matter of camera or postproduction?
on Oct 6, 2006 at 8:32:31 am

We shot a film with a Sony DSR-500WS and Average people think it was multi million dollar movie shot on film. A DSR-500WS is a 16x9 widescreen 2/3" DVCAM camcorder. Check some visuals at http://www.thecrossroadsoffate.com/

Every frame was "film looked" in After Effects. The important thing was the musical score. It sounds like a Hollywood movie. Sometimes the ear can dictate what the eye can see. Watch a big scene from a thriller and watch the scene again with the sound off. Our score would have cost around $15K. The movie is listed on IMDb with a budget of $216,000. Our actual cost out of pocket was under $10K.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Trailer??
on Oct 8, 2006 at 7:36:28 pm

Oops, our trailer tool a hike. Check back this week,

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Oct 7, 2006 at 4:29:06 am

It more about the talent behind the camera than the tools.

Of course high talent with big toys does help but then again prosumer mini dv gear in the hands of a great storyteller are more paramount than a Panaflex in the hands of a horrible story teller like George Lucas.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Eric Lagerlof
on Oct 8, 2006 at 4:06:22 am

Nice site/visuals Steve! As to the original question... You can read a recent post on the same subject and get some answers there. A Hollywood or film look is the result of lots of things, the camera, the film, the lenses and the developing/post processing are just part of it. There is the experince of the DP's, the Director, gaffers, etc. Then there is the production designer, the costume/wardrobe designer, the... And of course, the budgets for crews, lighting gear and generators, etc.

Your question is easily answered; yes the camera can make a difference, yes, After Effects/CineLook can help give you more of a film look if used right. But that won't mean your footage will look like a high-end film. Look at Steves website and I bet even if he used a DVX 100 or an FX-1 it wouldn't look all that much different. Thoughtful lighting, interesting angles, just the stills evoke a story. Bet he and his team spent a good amount of time on location scouting and casting too. Film is a collaborative medium and a camera or software choice aren't nearly as important as talent, experience/knowledge and a fierce desire to make every frame of your video/film look like art.

Return to posts index

Edward G Downie
on Oct 10, 2006 at 6:18:00 pm

I have been shooting video analog, digital and hd and we have come a long way. I also work as a Film Projectionist and seen a lot of film and even when it is shot hdcam 4444 or D5 when I look from the booth in one of AMC Lowes or National Amuisment multiplex I can tell if it is shot on film or vedeo film give you that feeling like "oh it is so buautiful breath taking" the movie that is shot on video hd or other look like watching a very large high quality TV set audio is no different film or video. I sat down on my day off to watch Miami Vice and I have no problem with the story line but the the video was horrible especially the night seen I know it is shot on video but film or video it should look beter Super man was a nother bad looking film. if you should shoot a movie on D1 which is the best SD format an bump it up to film it would look tereble on the big screen in the theater so would dvcam or d9.
I think we need to forget that idea about film look because film is different and video is lest expensive if we are going to shoot a video we should make it look good and do not worry about the film look, if you want the film look Please to shoot film there is no other way include the best software and hardware effect unit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]