FORUMS: list search recent posts

Short Movie Idea

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damonstration
Short Movie Idea
on Sep 12, 2006 at 5:33:28 am

So I've been brainstorming for ideas for this film fest my college does in January. Then something kind of funny happened to me. My roommate locked me out of the room when I was in the shower. So all I had was soap and a towel. I was just glad I didn't have a test. And that's when I thought that could make a pretty interesting/funny short movie. A guy gets locked out of his room on the day of a big test. Rather than just make it up, he decides to race across campus and take the test in a towel. I have other little ideas of his misadventures on his way to class, but I was just wondering what anyone else thought of this idea. Is it good? Decent? Complete crap? I really value the input I get at these forums, and I can take brutal honesty :P Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

tony salgado
Re: Short Movie Idea
on Sep 13, 2006 at 6:28:50 pm

Yeah I think i saw that movie once it was called ....... fill in the blanks.

In anycase it should be a funny concept so what the heck go ahead and make it .

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Damonstration
on Sep 14, 2006 at 12:36:04 am

Are you serious? Dang! The movie is called Fill in the Blanks? Well crap. Oh well.

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Sep 15, 2006 at 1:27:11 am

No dude what I meant is the concept is so generic it has already been done in some form or fashion.

Just fill in the blanks with any movie title that fits the genre was my point.

In anycase don't let that discourage you if you really want to do the project.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Damonstration
on Sep 15, 2006 at 1:34:41 am

Oh haha ok. Well I'm still doing it haha. It's so hard to think up totally original stuff anyway. It's all been done...

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Sep 17, 2006 at 2:08:29 am

Hey Damon:

I agree, it's been done to death, just rent the top 20 "80's" movies and you will see this gag over and over.

That said, I am a huge Chris Guest fan, Spinal Tap, Best in Show, Waiting for Guffman, etc. I thought he had the mockumentary thing all sewed up, every other mockumentary that I saw basically paled in comparison to these masterpieces.

Then I saw Michael Winterbottom's Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story and lo and behold, someone else had a very fresh, original take on the mockumentary format. My point is, if you can take that tired "locked out of your room wearing just a towel" concept and give it a fresh, alternative spin and make me really laugh or think, I will call you a freaking genius and will talk you up all over the web.

It's true, almost everything has been done, we work in an art form/medium that has been putting out entertainment for well over 100 years but quality is rare and a new vantage point on old ideas is still new.

Get my meaning, it's just like music, how many true originals and innovators are there out there? Not very many. In a very loose sense, Woody Guthrie begat Bob Dylan begat Tom Petty, etc. They is a connecting thread there, but each took what the other did to the next level and ended up original. Not saying they are each directly connected but each is a writer/singer/performer with a similar POV in a way.

Good luck - dazzle us!

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]