FORUMS: list search recent posts

shooting beaches

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Herrin
shooting beaches
on Aug 10, 2006 at 6:50:41 pm

I have some video that I have shot of a beach that has caused some discussion at work as to the quality of it. I shot a beach on a very hazy day, the sky is gray and the water is a gray/green. The question that has arisen is that about 200-300 feet down the beach is soft focus. Now when you have a situation that has little detail to focus on, can you get crisp focus at long distances? I am shooting with a JVC HD100 with a stock lens.
Thanks for you input.
Kevin

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: shooting beaches
on Aug 10, 2006 at 6:56:15 pm

Kevin,

If you're talking about a telephoto shot of something 200' away through haze, it's like shooting through a heavy filter; of course it'll be soft. Which such atmospherics, the only thing sharp would be a subject close to the camera!

JS

Return to posts index

Kevin Herrin
on Aug 10, 2006 at 7:21:36 pm

Thanks, thats what I believe as well. It's just getting others to believe that all doesn't have to be in focus.
Kevin

Return to posts index

SydneyS
on Aug 16, 2006 at 11:53:47 pm

I live at the beach, I shoot all formats, Beta, HDCAM, 35mm... You will get a large amount of atmospheric interference no matter what the weather is like... I live in San Diego, and on a perfectly sunny day, I expect to get a LOT of vaporized water particles in the shot... It gathers on the lens, even, and it's always going to take the edge off the sharpness when I shoot through a lot of it...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]