FORUMS: list search recent posts

time lapse with pan gadget

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scottyp
time lapse with pan gadget
on Jul 7, 2006 at 3:04:04 pm

anybody have any ideas about how to make a gadget that would slowly pull on the tilt/pan arm during a time lapse that would simulate those shots that come from very expensive rigs. Been searching for a device that already exists or could be modified. I'm thinking it would have a slow moving, consistant gear system that reeled in a string that would slowly tug on the tripod's arm. Or perhpaps a small tripod could actually sit on a device that slowly rotated. any thoughts?

scott

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: time lapse with pan gadget
on Jul 8, 2006 at 1:55:07 pm

[scottyp] " that would simulate those shots that come from very expensive rigs"

??? Just what does a shot from a "very expensive rig" look like ???
And what is your definition of a very expensive rig?

What exactly is the end result you are trying to achieve?
Generally when I do time lapse work, I lock down the camera, and then let subject or subjects move.

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
on Jul 8, 2006 at 5:22:34 pm

Are you talking about motion control vs. time lapse? Just pan or tilt during an off frame. Obviously, use small moves and a very good fluid head.

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
Cinematography Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Blub06
on Jul 8, 2006 at 6:36:09 pm

In the end you are talking about a motion control thingy. I love the look you are talking about, its fine to have a locked down time-lapse sequence but panning tilting and even zooming adds an amazing quality to it all.

There must be some kind of cheapo motion control thing. If not, there would be a real market for such a thing.

While motion control rigs are big, heavy and expensive, if you give up the high tolerances of such rigs (which is one reason they are so heavy) and create a rig which is small and portable its easy to imagine a great demand for such a thing.

Chris

Return to posts index

Mike Gluckman
on Jul 13, 2006 at 12:19:39 am

I use a digital still camera for time lapse. If you take high resolution pictures, you can pan, tilt, and zoom in post.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]