FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wedding Video Industry

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sewellyboy
Wedding Video Industry
on Jul 7, 2006 at 12:24:09 am

I'm looking to get into shooting wedding video's and similar functions. I have a FCP system set up with a low end camcorder. I was looking into purchasing a better camcorder and any other accessories needed. I was really looking for recommendations as to what I might need? Any Camcorder advice, plug-in advice additional software. I all ready have adobe CS2 suite.
Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

tony salgado
Re: Wedding Video Industry
on Jul 7, 2006 at 1:46:19 am

Wow slow down.

Before you buy any new equipment have you created a business plan?

Who and where will you seek out clients?

Have you researched your local market to find out what couples are willing to spend for the degree of experience and image quality you intend to provide.

Shooting with higher end gear does you no justice if you don't have a solid track record and talent in the market you are soliciting business from.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jul 7, 2006 at 3:33:54 am

Well I usually agree with Tony S. but in this case I'd say that to get into the wedding video business you could probably get by with one good video as a demonstration of your abilities; you could either do it on spec, for cost or as a gift for a friend who's getting married. As far as a camera, either a DVX100 or equivilent Sony like a PD170 would be fine. If you're inspired and have a good work ethic and persistance, with a dash of salesmanship, you'll probably do just fine!

JMHO,

JS

Return to posts index

Sewellyboy
on Jul 7, 2006 at 5:00:10 pm

Thanks for the input fellas.
As for Tony's advice, I agree with you, but I'm not just buying the equipment hoping to jump into the business. My girlfriend is a graphic designer, so I all ready have the computer and the software.
I'm a highschool teacher and golf coach and I all ready have a low end camcorder so I can record my golfers swings and break them down. (that's what I use FCP for)
What i'm really looking for is a hobby I can do during the summer when I'm not teaching. I happen to be getting married this August and have seen some of the prices these people are charging and what they put out. I figured that since during summer I wasn't teaching I could pick up a hobby and make some extra money on the side. That's why I 'm inquiring as to what I might need to get started.

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Jul 17, 2006 at 1:34:05 am

As some one who does weding videos here are a few thots.

As far as a camera goes I would not use a low end camera (or soccer mom camera a I like to call them) you want something that wil give you compleate controle over the image (focus, gain, white ballance, exposure, etc) as well as easy control, if you always have to go into the menu system to change some thing insted of having a manusl option on the camera it self you could easy miss some thing important that might happen at the event. I use the Sony FX1 not only do i get great control but it is HDV which is something that might set you appart from other event videographers in your area. You might also need a video light for low light events.

Also a when youor customers see a niceer camera it gives them more confedence in you as a profesional.

As far as other plugins, you wont need any.

Also check out the Event Videographers forum here at the Cow

Return to posts index

Sewellyboy
on Jul 17, 2006 at 6:36:40 pm

Thankyou for you response, I appreciate your time. I'll check out that other forum.

Return to posts index

nancy sada
on Aug 18, 2006 at 2:38:10 am

Check out the WEVA website--lots of good info there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]