FORUMS: list search recent posts

promist with HD

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Redflag
promist with HD
on May 8, 2006 at 12:31:10 pm

Hi

Just did a recent job with a F900,on which I used a Tiffen 1/4 black promist ,only had a Panasonic plasma monitor,be it a very expensive one!
I,ve used this filter before and with digibeta .Anyway the producer has commented that the image lacks definition and in that vain ,that softlight is not the way to go for HD.We were shooting 23.98p.And that previous rushes shot without a filter were looking much better.
But he is viewing on an LCD screen,but I would think a pretty good one.I cant get to see them myself unless i travel halfway around the globe.
I,d always been under the impression the everyone and their dog was trying to avoid the dreaded very sharp electronic video -ish image of HD,and I,d never shot digibeta let alone HD without a filter.1/8 or 1/4 black promist usually.
Does anyone have any experience with similar reports,or their own comments

Thanks

Return to posts index

SydneyS
Re: promist with HD
on May 9, 2006 at 4:03:50 am

Personally, I think you can get a pretty kick-ass film look with that combination of filter and camera... In my experience you will find plenty of folks who will have the entirely opposite oppinion of your producer... The point of such a filter is to make things soft, and that it does well... It also reduces contrast. I've used just about every filter I can get my hands on with the HDCAM line of Sony cameras, some filter effects, (Polarizer, for one, obviously,) you cannot reproduce in Post. The Promist filters are good in that they not only soften effects such as highlights, but they can reduce contrast, which is good when you have issues in sunlight, such as deep shadows and sharp highlights... The contrast reduction allows you to see pixel information where there may not have been any in the extreme dark and highlighted areas, thereby giving you a richer, fuller broader dynamic range in the image than what the camera may have been able to process without the filter, when you process it in post... (Personally, I'm a big fan of the Discreet/Autodesk line of video color correction tools, Smoke, Combustion, etc...)

Return to posts index

Redflag
Re: promist with HD
on May 9, 2006 at 7:45:09 am

Ok thanks for your reply.Yes maybe just a subjective thing at thye end of the day.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]