FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Box Dimensions / Building plans

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BrAd S
Apple Box Dimensions / Building plans
on Apr 28, 2006 at 8:02:24 pm

Anyone have contruction plans for apple boxes? I'm looking to build some myself, and am not sure about the internal supports, and thickness of the plywood.

Thanks in advance.

BrAd

Praise to the COW

BrAd Steiner
ImageWorks Media Group

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
Re: Apple Box Dimensions / Building plans
on Apr 29, 2006 at 12:37:03 pm

call a grip and lighting rental house for dimensions, ie..paskal, hollywoood rental , mole richardson, birns and sawyer, panavision dallas, etc

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
Cinematography Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Jim Forrester
on May 1, 2006 at 10:47:24 pm

Full apple boxes are traditionally 8" X 12" X 20", the other sizes are half, quarter and eighth of the 8" dimension. 3/4" exterior plywood with one finished side is the most common material. There is one internal support half way down the box at a right angle to the 20" sides. Route out one or two hand holds on each 8"X 12" end. Don't center the hand hold in the 8" dimension but locate it nearer to an edge so you can grip one full apple box with your fingers and another with your thumb. That way you can carry up to four at a time.

Return to posts index

Mike Gluckman
on May 2, 2006 at 12:34:45 am

To keep boxes from becoming too heavy use 3/4" plywood for the ends you cut the handles into and the sides. Use 5/8" for the 12"x20" side and the middle support. I like AC plywood.

Return to posts index

BrAd S
on May 2, 2006 at 3:22:35 am

What about using 5/8 all around? Too weak? I was doing some calculating, and I think I can get one full and 1 half out of a 4x4 sheet of ply (with a bit left over). It'd be better to use just one type of ply and get in a single sheet. But then, I don't want boxes two heavy or too light. Ideas?
When I get it worked out completely, I'll post the cut sizes if anyone is interested.

BrAd

Praise to the COW

BrAd Steiner
ImageWorks Media Group

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on May 9, 2006 at 6:06:33 pm

At $25 each, why bother?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

BrAd S
on May 9, 2006 at 6:09:21 pm

because no one sells them for that here, unless I want to pay shipping. And I can make them for less, and sell them to you for $20 each. plus shipping of course.

BrAd

Praise to the COW

BrAd Steiner
ImageWorks Media Group

Return to posts index

Brian Foley
on Feb 8, 2009 at 4:05:27 am

I wouldn't use 5/8ths for the ends or center since those components receive nails in only in their edges and not through the face of the ply. There may be a tendency for misses when nailing or for these components to split otherwise. I'd even be wondering about the sides for the same reason.

Hmmm, also, I guess if you were planning to use fin nails then you would be forced to wonder if even the top and bottom faces wouldn't be in danger of coming loose at some time for lack of meat to be fastened through.

You might want to check your cut list to make sure that the loss of thickness doesn't force you to use up more sheets when you have to cut larger ends, centers, and sides.

Remember that the ends and center are all cut the same size (two sheet thicknesses smaller in each dimension than the finished box.) The sides are next and have the same reduced height as the ends and center but are full length to overlap the ends for nailing. The top and bottom are cut to the full dimension of the finished box and cap the sides and ends.

When deciding where to put the holes you might want to make sure that your intended crew can safely and effectively carry around four boxes at a time instead of two even with your +/- %16.5 weight savings per box.

Also take into account the increased deflection in the thinner material when a tripod leg happens to be placed in the weakest part of the large face when instructing your camera people on how to use your new design.

To put it in industry terms I might say something toxic like: "Come to think of it without a team of engineer's and experienced union carpenters around why would you guys be messing with something that has worked for like a hundred years."

Especially when humans are apt to stand on the things.

I guess it might save the planet?

or $5?

Actually after my years in the industry and the time I've spent watching the kind of crap it's largely responsible for it might do the planet more good if we just shut you guys found something productive to do like shovel the f'n snow or fix a little old lady's roof.

Ha!

Return to posts index

Brian Foley
on Feb 8, 2009 at 5:07:19 am

Sorry people, I don't want to discourage or humiliate. I'm not always fond of the things I've done in the name of "entertainment".

And don't forget to put a round over bit on those edges! Especially the inside of the holes in the end pieces before you assemble them.

Keep the dust down and play safe.

I'm gonna go sit in the truck and think about my job.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]