FORUMS: list search recent posts

Amsterdam NTSC shoot with 50Hz lighting question.

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcow
Mike Hennessey
Amsterdam NTSC shoot with 50Hz lighting question.
on Apr 26, 2006 at 6:08:24 pm

I have a corporate video shoot coming up in Amsterdam. It

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
Re: Amsterdam NTSC shoot with 50Hz lighting question.
on Apr 29, 2006 at 12:46:21 pm

mike, your best, and really only reliable solution is to get there ahead of time and check it out and do some tests. but, you probably know this. If you can't then you have to take what is given to you. You might want to taka a couple of lights with you so you can try to light your speakers a little better than the top light you will have from the house lighting. This may help you overpower the rooms lighting. hard to say without seeing?

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
Cinematography Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Paul Thurston
on May 2, 2006 at 12:49:04 am

Here's the scoop,

If the rooms in Amsterdam actually have fluorescent lights or similar AC arc discharge sources, your NTSC cameras will pick up a 50Hz flicker. To fix this you set your shutter to 1/100 which will get rid of the flicker. You will lose 1 f-stop of light sensitivity. This works because the shutter speed is a multiple of the electrical frequency. The flicker, once recorded, is almost impossible to get rid of in post (unless you have a Discreet smoke and lots of time and money.)

-Paul

Return to posts index

cow
john hartney
on May 2, 2006 at 4:36:08 am

I'd also consider running from battery to avoid line noise. All of the cameras you are using have excellent DC uptime when using the fp90 batteries.

Return to posts index

mike hennessey
on May 3, 2006 at 4:46:53 pm

Thanks all, I got a few more details. I just found out that the lighting at the hotel is all 50 watt halogen lamps. So what do you think, will I get the big nasty flicker? We arrive 2 days early and plan to do a test first thing. If it fails we will rent cameras over there. Can any one recommend a rental house in Amsterdam?

Thanks -Mike

Return to posts index

Paul Thurston
on May 3, 2006 at 8:47:48 pm

Hi Mike,

Halogen lamps do not flicker so your NTSC cameras will not pickup flicker. On the other hand, if the room has fluorescent lighting for decoration purposes, you will need to set up the shutter speed to 1/100.

Enjoy your trip over there
Paul Thurston

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]